VIA AC'97 Sound does not work.

Sephious

Ok... I'm assuming it works now, because KMix has different volume settings and stuff. The thing is, it's not working fully. As soon as I try to play something in XMMS(Which I installed from an RPM on one of the Mandrake CDs) it starts to loop over and over, but this time I'm able to stop it without crashing all sound.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Playing a CD works, just like before, but XMMS used to work, and it no longer does.

EDIT2: Sounds in games don't work either. I think I'm just doomed to be without sound in Mandrake :(.

Edited by Sephious

did the sound work again after a reboot? ie does xmms kill it until the next time you start up your computer?

if you think something is hogging your soundcard you can do this:

fuser /dev/sound/mixer

if it gives you a process using it, kill it and try again

did the sound work again after a reboot? ie does xmms kill it until the next time you start up your computer?

if you think something is hogging your soundcard you can do this:

fuser /dev/sound/mixer

if it gives you a process using it, kill it and try again

No, XMMS no longer works at all. Not even the CD player works anymore with my AC'97. Everything works just fine with my garbage Creative Ensonique though. It just magically started working, because not even it worked before.

Edited by Sephious

you're going to have to switch the cards in /etc/modules.conf and comment out (#) the creative, then reboot, for the easy way, or rmmod the old and modprobe the new after editing for the hardcore way (stubborn/anti-win_way). Rebooting is much better so to let the kernel/modultils read the file and do the job rt. Post the file if you need help.

Linux ran both my cards ok but still, sound was better with only one enabled. Can you remove the creative or disable it in the bios? Then the above would be even easier.

Edited by bvc

you're going to have to switch the cards in /etc/modules.conf and comment out (#) the creative, then reboot, for the easy way, or rmmod the old and modprobe the new after editing for the hardcore way (stubborn/anti-win_way). Rebooting is much better so to let the kernel/modultils read the file and do the job rt. Post the file if you need help.

Linux ran both my cards ok but still, sound was better with only one enabled. Can you remove the creative or disable it in the bios? Then the above would be even easier.

Yes, I'll remove it and see what happens, but I doubt the AC'97 will work. I'll try when I get home from school today.