VIA AC'97 Sound does not work.

Sephious

Hi. My Via AC'97 onboard sound doesn't work. No sound at all. I know for a fact it isn't muted too. I'm using Mandrake 9.2 and KDE.

I can get sound from CDs by turning up the headphone volume in KMix but I can't get sound from games, videos, or any other way. If I try to play a video the sound plays over and over in a two second or so loop, even if I close Totem it plays until I reboot. I can't test to see if MP3s will play because I can't find a Windows audio player that Wine works with, and I can't install XMMS because glibc fails to install.

Thanks for your help.

I hope this is in the right forum. It's late and I might have missed a more proper one.

EDIT: Forgot my PC Specs since they could help.

AMD Athlon 2400+ T-Bred

Elitegroup K7VMM2 Motherboard

256MB Ram

Edited by Sephious

I tried that because I figured that might be a problem, but I can't find the kernel source(which you need to install the drivers) on the Mandrake CDs because I don't think it's on there. I have the default kernel version. Do you know where to get the source(2.44 or something I think, how do I check that?), and where I should put it? /usr/src/linux-versionnumber?

EDIT: I'm also not going to try compiling the latest kernel, using that, and the source for that without a tutorial, because the last time I tried I got to ./configure and no further.

Edited by Sephious

What you have there is a srpm. You want the regular kernel-source rpm.

You can compile the srpm if you want to, but in this case it would be easier to get the regular rpm. You can find it here: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/9.2/i586...-10mdk.i586.rpm

After that, open your console, cd to the directory the rpm is located in, su to root and type:

rpm -ivh kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

Your kernel source will them be installed and you should be able to get the sound drivers working.

nah, you can get the srpm and do it just fine if you want. The console command would be (as root):

rpm --rebuild nameof.src.rpm

That will produce a file (in this case, it would be nameof.rpm). The location sometimes varies, but generally it's in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/

Just as a warning, though; some srpms do take a long time to rebuild. I've had some take 8 hours on my laptop (p4, 1.7GHz)

Meh, I already downloaded and installed the RPM you gave me a link to. The thing is, after I try to install the viaudiocombo-2.3-1.rpm I get this:

Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]

1:viaudiocombo        ########################################### [100%]

-------- install start --------

backup modules.conf to old.modules.conf

snd-via82xx: Device or resource busy

snd-pcm: Device or resource busy

Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/viaudiocombo.o.gz will taint the kernel: no license

See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules

/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/viaudiocombo.o.gz: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/viaudiocombo.o.gz failed

modprobe: insmod viaudiocombo failed

-------- vinstall end --------

that means something else is trying to use your sound card (probably another driver).

Open up MCC and go to Hardware -> Harddrake to get the hardware list. Find your sound card in the list and click on the 'run config tool' button to find out what driver it's using. There's a chance that you can switch to the new via driver from there, but I doubt it.

Find out what driver is loaded for your soundcard (looks like snd-via82xx ) and, as root in a console, issue this command:

modprobe -r soundmodulenamehere

Then try installing the via driver again and see what happens.

Ok, well...something has your soundcard and isn't letting go. My guess was arts, but that was wrong. Are there any other apps that you have open that might have it?

Also, you could try doing this by dropping out of X and back to the command line. That would most likely kill whatever has your soundcard. You could also try to reboot and see if that fixes the problem.

Ok, KMix was the program that was holding it. This is the output since then.

# modprobe -r snd-via82xx

# rpm -ivh viaudiocombo-2.3-1.i586.rpm

package viaudiocombo-2.3-1 is already installed

[root@hsdbsk142-165-218-187 i586]# rpm -ivh viaudiocombo-2.3-1.i586.rpm

1:viaudiocombo        ########################################### [100%]

-------- install start --------

backup modules.conf to old.modules.conf

Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/viaudiocombo.o.gz will taint the kernel: no license

See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules

Module viaudiocombo loaded, with warnings

-------- vinstall end --------

Edited by Sephious