Installation Options... "Erase Disk"

beezer23

Okay - so I finally decided to give Mandrake a try on an old system. When I got to the partitioning step, I chose the "erase disk" option to rid myself of Win 98 (yes, I made a backup). My system then rebooted and it is now sitting at a flashing prompt (the hard disk activity light is solid). I just want to make sure that it's acutally doing something and not hung up - It has been like this for over an hour - any ideas how long it should take to erase a 13 gig disk??

:unsure:

Edited by beezer23

The format should of only taken a few seconds. The format should of been complete before it rebooted. Did you try typing in "startx" at the prompt? I suspect its hung up on something seeing your activity light is a solid on.

More info on what version your installing and hardware would help here. I believe the 9.x versions need at least 64 Mb of ram to get into a gui.

The format should of only taken a few seconds. The format should of been complete before it rebooted. Did you try typing in "startx" at the prompt? I suspect its hung up on something seeing your activity light is a solid on.

More info on what version your installing and hardware would help here. I believe the 9.x versions need at least 64 Mb of ram to get into a gui.

Alright... I gave it the old three finger salute and went into the bios... my CD drives on the secondary IDE channel are now gone and the drive with the Mandrake disk is locked, what the heck is going on....?????????