Macromedia to take Linux more seriously.

SoulSe

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5170061.html?tag=st_lh

They are going to start by making their software run better in Wine and then decide on ports, based on the response they get, according to this:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/...5/0030210.shtml

So, this a plee from somebody who would love to use Flash MX natively in Linux, please make sure that the response is good! :cheesy:

No flaming about Flash, please. If you don't like Flash then that's cool, but we need companies like Macromedia to start paving the way by porting their software.

Think of Dreamweaver, Shockwave, etc. and the fact that Macromedia are a huge company, if they start porting then others will follow.

:thumbs:

I guess which will be the opinion of Mr. RMS about this :(

Just joking, It's always good news to see how companies look at GNU/Linux as a serious market target... but at the same time is a bit scaring

I hope the Linux version is not difficult to maintain or port for Macromedia, for they have Mac OS X version of most suites they offered on Windows. In terms of market share, it is pretty safe to say Linux will surpass Mac OS X this year in the desktop PC market.

Of course, for all I know, M$ is going to release something very similar to Flash type content creation apps in Windows Longhorn; it's time Macromedia to look for a plan B strategy in order not to become another Netscape corporation.

Interesting news. It will be interesting to see what Macromedia does over the next little while.

Actually, beyond the possibility of porting Flash (which is much more than simple animation) or even Dreamweaver (which would be very cool) to Linux is the possibility of porting Fireworks and/or Freehand to Linux.

Both of these packages compete directly with Adobe programs -- photoshop/image ready and Illustrator. If Macromedia ports their main graphic apps to Linux, it may put pressure on Adobe to port their apps as well.

Also, who really cares what Mr. RMS thinks. For linux to be viewed as a "real" operating system, it needs to acceptance of some of these big companies and it needs non-gpl apps to run on it. The 3D world already has most of their apps running on Linux (XSI, Maya, Houdini, etc), it is about time that the graphics and web world had their tools ported.

Actually, beyond the possibility of porting Flash (which is much more than simple animation) or even Dreamweaver (which would be very cool) to Linux is the possibility of porting Fireworks and/or Freehand to Linux.

Both of these packages compete directly with Adobe programs -- photoshop/image ready and Illustrator. If Macromedia ports their main graphic apps to Linux, it may put pressure on Adobe to port their apps as well.

Also, who really cares what Mr. RMS thinks. For linux to be viewed as a "real" operating system, it needs to acceptance of some of these big companies and it needs non-gpl apps to run on it. The 3D world already has most of their apps running on Linux (XSI, Maya, Houdini, etc), it is about time that the graphics and web world had their tools ported.

Exactly!

I think that designers are part of the market that Linux is still to capture. The Gimp is a great program, but it is fairly difficult to use and serious designers will always want Photoshop or Freehand.

If Macromedia does eventually port their full suite (Flash is where they're starting) then it will make Linux a possible solution to a large segment of the market that could not fully utilise Linux before.

Adobe will, as you mentioned, have to catch up or die... I have a good friend who is a top designer in South Africa. He comes over often and always raves about how cool my Gentoo desktop machine is and how much he would love to try Linux.

I guess Mac will still own that market for a long time, however. :juggle:

I hope the Linux version is not difficult to maintain or port for Macromedia, for they have Mac OS X version of most suites they offered on Windows. In terms of market share, it is pretty safe to say Linux will surpass Mac OS X this year in the desktop PC market.

According to a Norwegian computer news site, IDC (http://www.idc.com) is reporting that linux has already passed Mac OS X on the desktop market.

I am quite sure of that on install base, but how many people purchase Linux bundled PCs around here or other places?

But on desktop shipment, that's still a little close (of course, if you count a $200 Lindows box as a PC, then the story could be very different) but anyway, 2004 will be the year of 2nd place for Linux desktop, though still a far behind second. Linux will need to catch up.

According to a Norwegian computer news site, IDC (http://www.idc.com) is reporting that linux has already passed Mac OS X on the desktop market.

Yup, and I had a chat with Maxon (Cinema4D) about that. Their response, transposed:

"OMG LOL so teh what! over 50% of our users run on Mac and won't convert, so, LOL, na, forget Linux support LOL"

I'm looking forward to the Macromedia experiment, though. I'm required to have a windows box for FlashMX only, by now, hence ...

-Sascha.rb