Slow Browsing

gentry_joey

mine is opposite - IE is very slow while Konqueror is very fast. Galeon too. :unsure: not to mention the crashes with Windows...

most say that but I'm with gentry_joey......linux has always been slower for me when browsing even now with broadband it's a tad slower but more so with modems (conexant, and 2 usr's). However linux with broadband is faster than win when dloading large files.

gentry_joey, have you checked your cache sizes? Linux by default makes them very small. Other than that, I d/k why linux/dialup is slower.

Oh, keep in mind that you're using a win modem that shouldn't even work in lin and that even if the maker helps with devel that help is minimal, in most cases.

The best modem I've used was the external usr 5686. The diff between lin and win was minimal and the driver is in the kernel so driver install isn't required. They're down to $60 USD now....a year ago they were $100.

Edited by bvc

On my standard build Mandrake 9.2 with Opera 7.23 I surf WAY much faster than with XP and Opera 7.23.

Mozilla 1.4 and Firefox in Linux go just as fast as any other browser on XP, but Flash is very slow on Mozilla/Firefox, works fine in Opera though.