Mozilla and RealAudio

johanl

I am not having much luck with trying to get plugins to work with Mozilla 1.6. Now I have a problem with RealAudio. I downloaded the .bin installer, and installed the player into /apps/realplayer. After the files are copied, the installation program asks me if I want it to install the Netscape plugin, and ofcourse I would like that. Nothing happens though, no plugin is installed in /apps/mozilla/plugins. The RealPlayer itself starts up, but when I try to play something from a webpage it tells me I have to download the plugin...Help?

get the MozPlugger Mozilla plugin. works for many different types of audio/video files, RealPlayer included. the version for mdk9.1 also works on mdk9.2. also, if you look around, some contrib sources (i think plf & texstar) have a newer version of. or, you can also try the cooker version.

Chris

Or copy rpnp.so from /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. To do this, from a terminal as root:

cd /usr/lib/RealPlayer8

cp rpnp.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Then Edit > Peferences > Helper Applications > New Type

For MIME Type: audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin

Extension: rpm

And save.

There is a new approach in Mandrake 9.2:

If you use the gtk2+Xft version of Mozilla or Firefox, you can get Totem to play Real media format of video and audio (it's not 100% working yet, but I found it works very good in Real Audio anyway):

1) Download RealCodec pack from PLF mirror:

-> real-codecs-1.2-1plf.i586.rpm

2) Install it as root:

# rpm -ivh real-codecs-1.2-1plf.i586.rpm

3) Launch Totem

K > Multimedia > Video > Totem Movie Player

4) Close Totem, go into console, now you can create a symlink inside the ~/.gnome2/totem-addons folder:

$ ln -s /usr/lib/real/*.* ~/.gnome2/totem-addons/

Now Totem will be able to use Real Media codec. If you are using gtk2+Xft version of Mozilla or Firefox, Totem should be selected by default when you are trying to access Real media files.

Edited by zero0w

Or copy rpnp.so from /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. To do this, from a terminal as root:

cd /usr/lib/RealPlayer8

cp rpnp.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Then Edit > Peferences > Helper Applications > New Type

For MIME Type: audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin

Extension: rpm

And save.

I tried this, now when I click the link to the Realaudio file on a website, Mozilla automatically closes...Nice feature but it wasn't what I had in mind...No error message or whatsoever.

> real-codecs-1.2-1plf.i586.rpm

When I even click on this link Mozilla closes too! After removing the rpnp.so file from the mozilla/plugins directory Mozilla works fine again...seems to be something wrong with the plugin then?

4) Close Totem, go into console, now you can create a symlink inside the ~/.gnome2/totem-addons folder:

I use KDE, where can I find that totem-addons dir then?

Edited by johanl

the Mozplugger solution i posted above should work. if it doesn't, then use spiedra's solution in conjunction with MozPlugger. i just helped somebody out in MUSB a few days ago with the same problem you're having & that's what did the trick.

Chris

> real-codecs-1.2-1plf.i586.rpm

When I even click on this link Mozilla closes too! After removing the rpnp.so file from the mozilla/plugins directory Mozilla works fine again...seems to be something wrong with the plugin then?

Yes, something's wrong with RPM and Real player plugin.

It happened in the past but I don't know: the issue re-surfaced again.

Because:

RPM stands for

1) Red hat Packager Manager

2) Real Player Metadata

So when you click on rpm, Mozilla may have confused between the two - this bug was fixed in Mozilla 1.3 I think, but now resurface? I don't know.

I use KDE, where can I find that totem-addons dir then?

~/.gnome2/ = /home/username/.gnome2/

Any path/filename with a dot in the beginning (such as .gnome2/ ) is a hidden directory. Nevertheless, you can tell Konqueror File browser to show hidden files to see it.

ln -s /usr/lib/real/*.* ~/.gnome2/totem-addons/

Ok, i did that, only my path to the Realplayer is /apps/realplayer and there is no dir in there called real so I assumed it was

ln -s /apps/realplayer/*.* ~/.gnome2/totem-addons

Now when I click a Realaudio file on a webpage the window telling me I don't have the plugin pops up. Do I need to associate Totem with rpm files in Mozilla and how do I do that?

Edited by johanl

No, your assumption is not correct. they are not the codec files to be linked to.

1. Before you create the symlink, you need to download and install the RealCodec rpm from PLF I mentioned earlier:

Download here:

http://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/...2-1plf.i586.rpm

Install it as a root user:

# rpm -ivh real-codecs-1.2-1plf.i586.rpm

2. Use a gtk2 version of Mozilla or Firefox, Totem should be selected by default.

Edited by zero0w

EDIT: Please remove rpnp.so or MozPlugger in the plugins directory in order to launch Totem.

EDIT: This method does NOT work on Mandrake 9.1 or earlier version as Totem is only bundled since Mandrake 9.2.

1. Does Firefox suggest any application (Totem) to run when you click on a *.ra file?

(See the following screenshot)

2. Not all Real media works under Totem, but *.ra and *.ram should work for many websites across the web.

3. Or something is wrong in your configuration of Totem then.

post-10-1079072191.jpg

Edited by zero0w

Probably an easier suggestion, you may be able to find the embedded real player plugin in rpm. Textar use to have it up until he stopped making rpms for Mandrake. You'll probably have to do some googling, but will save you a headache trying to get it configured.

My experience here has been totaly different. I agree with spiedra.

I have found that mozplougger is the crappiest solution I've ever seen. I have found that it's FAR better to remove mozplugger and install the proper apps. Then, when you click a link and it asks to open or save, choose open and the right program and it will remember the correct helper app in the future.

I did not have to do any of the stuff these guys are talking about. Just remove mozplugger, install the realplayer rpm from Real.com, NOT the plf garbage, and that's it. The isntaller that runs automaticaly after the rpm install sets up the pluggin for you.

I have had the sme experience with flash. Just download and install the actual macromedia package and life is good.