Installation Problems Gentoo

Peep

this is pretty cool. i decided to try to install gentoo on a spare laptop partition (it was that or slackware). i hadn't realized i could let gentoo build while in another distro--so i'll just let it chug along in the background.

i know this will take a while, or "ages"... but about how long should it take on a pIII 930 starting from stage 1? all weekend? longer? thanks.

Split by mystified

It depends on the memory you have as well - but I would at least allow a weekend. It also depends on what GUI you want installed. I always use fluxbox - gnome or KDE will take longer probably

If you started it this morning, then I would expect (if you allow it to work overnight) to haveat least a basic, bootable system byt the end of tomorrow - perhaps more...

no probably about it. flux will take all of a couple of minutes. gnome on a p3?....prolly 9hrs+ and kde 12+. also, if you're doing it from another distro expect it to take much longer, of course depending on what you're doing. I'd go to init 3 and use link, irssi, and mutt or something to free up resources, but then if 3 days, then what's 4, eh?

hmm, i seem to have hit a wall. :wall: all i did so far was start the bootstrap (from within KDE, on debian) and came back a bunch of hours later and have a bunch of this:

/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1432: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1433: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1434: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1436: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1437: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1438: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 39: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 63: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 75: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1225: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1226: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1232: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 1247: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 690: /dev/null: Permission denied

did i somehow mount the gentoo partition incorrectly? i had to su to root in order to chroot to the gentoo partition, but that could that be the problem? i've been following the gentoo documentation at gentoo closely, and there haven't really been enough steps for me to have gotten too confused yet, or so i thought.

I just ran into this problem when reinstalling yesterday. It's quite simple. You need to mount /mnt/gentoo/proc diffrently before chroot'ing..

If you are not installing Gentoo from a Gentoo LiveCD, you need to bindmount /proc:

Code listing 43: Bind-mounting proc

# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

Then if you are installing gentoo thru a distro that doens't use devfs (knoppix) you need to do..

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

ooh, thanks HJ.  i now remember reading that and not knowing whether i needed to do that or not.  duh.

is it ok to just re-start the bootstrap process?  or should i have deleted everything on the partition and started from scratch?  thanks!

You should be able to start the bootstrapping agian with no problem.

ok, i've got an installed gentoo system that i can log into, i seem to have dual-booting working fine with debian. thanks for all the help, HJ. this may have to remain a work in progress, but things seem to be working fine so far.

Edited by Peep

i emerged kde, but can't get it to start. it looks like my XF86Config is a bit hosed but that shouldn't be too hard to fix. i'll be out of town for a few weeks, but will hopefully get everything up and running when i get back :)