No sound or low sound?!?!?!?!

Bahnhaus

O.K. I get sound(low) when I play an audio cd, but when I play a DVD in xine nothing. I tried going into kmix to fix the problem and theres no available mixers? I tried aumix, wont open. So I went into drakeconf soundcard run config, but it wont open. Apparently I dont have a dsp module I need in /dev/? Also when I open drankconf and go to hardware sometimes my mouse freezes up, and I only mention this because this is my 2nd time to type this because of that. Anyways any help on the audio problem would be most helpful.

:wall:

Edited by Bahnhaus

when you say you tried aumix but it won't open, what do you mean? i mean, are you trying to access aumix through the kicker->multimedia->sound shortcut, or via CLI? if it's CLI & you get an error about command not found, that means aumix isn't installed & you must install it via MCC->install software. if it's an error when trying to access it via the kicker shortcut, then try opening it via CLI & post the error output here. to open aumix in terminal, type aumix then hit enter.

Chris

According to urpmi alsa and aumix are installed. I tried running aumix from konsole but nothing happens. When I try running aumix from K>Multimedia>Sound>aumix the window shows in the bottom like its trying to load but nothing happens. When I try and open AlsaMixerGUI I get this error message "alsamixer:function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory" and alsa-utils are installed. Oh and I don't know what CLI is?

CLI=Command Line Interface............ IE: terminal, console, konsole, xterm, etc.

sorry 'bout the shorthand....... :juggle:

so.......when you try to run aumix in terminal (CLI) what error output do you get, if any? you say nothing happens. to run it in terminal, type aumix then hit enter.

gotta get going to work. i'll put more thought into this later..........

Chris

ok...........here's the best i can come up with at the moment. go to this Google Search for the error you're getting. there's several pages of info on it & several different solutions. one thing that is mentioned is checking if you have aRts set to load at KDE startup. to check that, go to Kontrol Center->peripherals->sound & check your aRts setup in there. other than those ideas, i'm sorta stumped for now.............sorry. :unsure:

Chris

I give up! :furious3: I really appreciate all the help everyones givin' me, but I've decided to delete Mandrake 9.2 and replace with another distro. Besides the sound problem my KDE menu kept crashing and the last time it wouldn't come back. Konqeror quit working properly i.e.: It wouldn't let me download or open browser in nwe windows wierd stuff like that. All that tho I'm sure could of been solved easy enough. But too many things to mess with, so I think I'll try SuSE 9 Pro next. I've heard its a really good distro for newbies. Well thanks again! :D