Internet conection sharing

Aza

I am try to share a BT broadband ISDN connection, which is on a XP machine downstairs, with Mandrake 9.2 upstairs which is on a machine runnig both from seperate hard drives.

Both machines have 10/100 nw cards, and are networked in XP too.

I am having trouble with setting it up can any one please help me out!

Welcome to the board. Of course we can help you. :D

Just to clarify, you have an ISDN internet connection attached to a windows XP machine. The winXP machine is able to access the internet without a problem? Is there any firewall, router, etc between the ISDN connection and the windows machine or is the ISDN card actually part of the windows machine?

In addition, you have a Mandrake Linux machine that you would like to be able to access the internet. Both machines have NIC cards and are networked together.

How are the machines networked; is there a switch and/or hub in the middle or is it one very long cable that attaches to each machine? If it is the later, you are using a cross-over cable correct?

On the windows machine, have you started internet sharing? On the linux machine, how do you have the networking setup?

If you are sitting at the linux machine, can you ping the windows machine and vice versa?

Just a few questions to get you started. Answer each of these and you will be a lot further along in solving this problem.

Also, what is your experience working with linux and networking?

-the ISDN is external

-Long cross-over yep

-the networking between (xp+MD9.2)+(XP) machines was setup via the automated network setup tool in the my network places folder.

-no data on netstat but downstairs.mshome.net did show up in LinNeighbourhood thingy but whether that was due to my fiddling with netwrk setting I'm unsure.

Be watching posts thanx!

if you want to share an internet connection, you'll need some method (hardware or software) of providing network address translation (NAT). in my home lan where i share a DSL connection between a bunch of Win and Lin boxes, I use an inexpensive hardware router for this purpose. it was a simple plug and play solution that cost about $30 at the local office store.

it is possible to enable the Internet Connection Sharing feature within windows to perform NAT if the modem is on your XP box. doing it that way will save you the cost of the hardware router, but will add one more service to the list of resource munchers that are running in the background on your windows box.

you will still need a network hub or switch between your two PCs ifyou decide to use straight through cables. if you're only hooking up two PCs, you may be able to get away with using a crossover cable and no hub/switch between the two PCs.

my experience with ICS in Windows is that it was just too cumbersome to work with in Win98. it was sporadically difficult to implement - sometimes it would work, and sometimes it wouldn't. ease of implementation is improved under 2000 and XP. for security and performance reasons I won't let a MSFT product be a front end on my system, so I chose to go with a hardware router instead.

one thing to think about -- WinXP is notoriously succeptible to attacks from the outside. be sure to get the critical security updates, enable the XP firewall, and remember: if you don't want to be hacked, by running an XP gateway, you're putting alot of faith in a MicroSoft product. :screwy:

hth!

I will try using NAT sound like the more feasible option in regards to resources and money.

But how do I go about configuring the network ie. what IP addresses go where and where am I to find them in the first place.

I mainly need advice on configuring the mandrake side of things

If you get yourself a router/firewall, or if you use internet sharing from winXP, you will be using dhcp to manage IP addresses. This means that on the Linux side, all you need to do is set linux for DHCP and it will take care of the IP addresses for you.

Generally, what will happen is that the internal NIC will get the IP address of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (depending on the router). Then, any other computers attached to the router will get IP addresses like 192.168.0.10, 192.168.0.11, etc.

Aza,

It SHOULD be possible ...

I'm not clear on your actual set-uop after reading through....

What type of ISDN modem is it ... Im presuming its on the XP machine ?

If it were on the Mandrake machine you'd be just (I use just sparingly) setting up a NAT so that the default route for the XP machine is sent to the virtuial interface and onward to the internet and INTERNAL to the MDK machine......

All in all a HW solution is easier :D but I appreciate what you mean by skint! Im presuming yuo'd have broadband if you weren't :D

and if you did have any spare cash investing in ISDN isn't exactly a good future investment.

You said BT internet so Im presuming your in the UK....

Are you close to London ?

I'm passing through Friday PM/Evening and I have 2 ISDN routers sat unused. (A CISCO 770 and a Zyxel Prestige)

I kept meaning to try and flog them.

If you have any unused PC bits even vaguely useful Ill swap one them ....if you can meet me at Waterloo or Liverpool St. (old memory, PCI graphics card?? whatever)

Heck if you have the time and energy why not take the Zyxel (which is easier to configure) and flog the other on Ibay and send me whatever you get for the Cisco (which is probably worth more)

Both function as a 10Mbit hub as well and have external RJ11's where you can plug in a normal phone.

Feel free to pm me, the sooner the better if your interested....

Sorry peeps I have made a mistake I actually have BT Broadband on an ADSL connection not an ISDN. My apologies.

I have tried using static IP addresses as mentioned in many of the articles I have read. Wether I did this correctly is beyond me. I just set the TCP/IP to use the IP I specified.

I also tried doing the same for the Broadband connection but it wouldn't connect unless the IP was set to auto detect.

Both of the machines have CNet Pro 200 fast Ethernet Adapters.

The machine downstairs has a seperate WAN network connection don't know why, I don't have any wireles HW. This was there before I tried networking with MD 9.2.

If I boot the Upstairs machine into XP the networking and ICS works.

For windows, all you have to do is to turn on Internet Sharing and it will take care of the rest. It creates a DHCP server so that other machines can connect and receive IP addresses. The only piece of hardware that you will need is an extra NIC card in the XP machine. One NIC card for the modem and one NIC card to connect to your network.

All you need to do is to turn Internet Sharing on in XP

Right Click on Network Connections -> Right Click on the Internet Network Connection -> select Internet Sharing.

This will configure the Network card attached to your network. This will also start up a little wizard that will guide you through the process. When it asks you to create a floppy disk to configure the rest of your machines, skip it.

Now for Linux. Simply setup Linux to use DHCP and that will configure your network card.

As for what exactly XP uses, who cares - it works. It ain't the best solution, but, hey, it works.

If you want NAT (nice for security) than you will have to go out and buy a router/firewall. However, if you just want it up and working, then the above will do that.

have set something up, MD 9.2 now boots up saying welcome to DOWNSTAIRS.mshome.net with my little logon pic to the left.

Still can't connect to the internet.

When I first installed MD 9.2 I had the ADSL modem up here MD 9.2 detected a Winmodem and said it was uncompatible I was just wandering if this is the ROOT of the problem.

Now the modem is downstairs and MD 9.2 still auto detects a win modem. Still stating it is uncompatible.

But...

a. it is not a win modem it is a BT voyager ADSL modem

b. surely the compatibility of the modem doesn't affect ICS in MD 9.2.

Well thats just an educated guess going from what I know about winex and computers generically.