Nvidia onboard LAN works in 9.2?

raystorm

OK.. I have an asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard with the onboard lan which I use when going online in windows (cable connection). I use the onboard LAN rather than the USB port to connect the modem (Motorola surfboard SB4100). When I run mandrake control center to configure the hardware it detects the onboard lan, and I did install dhcp from the cd, but it says that no network interface (NIC) can be found.

Does mandrake 9.2 have issues with the onboard Nvidia Nforce LAN? If not then whats the best way to configure my connection?? Maybe I can manually put my settings rather have autodetection? The installation is new so of course nothing is updated (cause I cant go online! :D ).

Do you think 10.0 RC1 does a better job with hardware (including my ATI card which I couldn't configure..using the VESA driver at the moment).

If you are gonna ask me to download drivers (nvidia or otherwise) please describe HOW to do it since I'm such a newbie (yea yea.. another newbie..hey..everyone is a newbie at one time or another!)

Thank you for any advice offered.

Hi Ray

Apparently you need the nforce driver from

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261

I'd say the source rpm at the bottom of screen.

I think you are going to need kernel source, which you have to download from somewhere (and I don't mean to rub it in :P ), so it can be compiled.

I have been following some of the happenings regarding the nforce chips, because I'm about to get one going soon myself.

look here!

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...t=0entry77482

and I think this page may help(?)

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item....7N8X-E%20Deluxe

MMmm.. some issues..

I downloaded the following nvidia rpm: NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm (since the dont have a mandrake 9.2 package). I have it on my linux desktop right now.. I went into the console.. went into the /Desktop directory and type "su" and put in my root password.

Then I typed: rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm

After that I got the following message: /usr/lib/rpm/rpmb does not exist

So I created the rpmb directory then did the same rebuild command.. now I get "Permission Denied" instead. But I'm root..so how can I get that message??!!

I checked which kernel version I have. I have the following kernel:

kernel-2.4.2.10mdk-1-1mdk ..whatever that means. So I downloaded the following kernel sources from a link I got here: (they are on the desktop as well)

kernel-source-2.4.25-0/rc4.1mdk.i586.rpm and

kernel-source-2.6.3-1mdk.i586.rpm

I tried to do the rpm install command like before:

rpm -rebuild kernel-source-2.4.25-0/rc4.1mdk.i586.rpm (with both 1 and 2 dashes before the word rebuild) and once again I get that permission denied.. I dotn get it.

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong and how to properly install these files? Sorry if this is too newbish but I sure one of you expects can help me out.

Thanks

Edited by raystorm

The first thing is that your kernel sources have to match your current kernel exactly. Try this one. After that try to rebuild the source rpm and let us know what happens.

Good luck, and remember, the perseverance is worth it in the end.

-edit-

I don't know if you just had a typo, but you use two dashes in the rpm --rebuild command.

[/edit]

Edited by digby

Ok... I installed kernel-2.4.25.0.rc4.1mdk-1-1mdk and its source.. that came out ok. I attempted to install kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm but I got the following error:

V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 26752624

error: failed dependencies

mkinitrd >= 3.4.43-10mdk is needed by kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

sysfsutils is needed by kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

module-init-tools >= 0.9.15 is needed by kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

but the kernel I just installed should be good enough anyways...now after I installed the kernel/source and got back into linux I tried to install NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm but still got the same message, "Permission Denied". Why do I get this message if I'm root??!!

I don't get it at all... :wall:

I wouldn't bother with the 2.6 kernel just yet.

Try to get the 2.4 kernel going first and your on board eth, once you've done this then you'll find it easier to manage the deps for the 2.6 kernel.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the 2.6 probably still won't get your eth going, but I've no experience with either yet. Just a guess.

I tried the 2.6 the other week and gave up on the dependencies required.

cheers.

I'll agree with arthurking - don't bother with 2.6 right now. Get it working with the 2.4 kernel and you can move up later.

I had the 2.6.2 kernel running when I tried to install nvidia's src.rpm and after three days of trying, I eventually broke my system by updating with cooker to install needed file versions and solving deps.

I reinstalled with 2.4.22 and after minimal effort got sound and LAN running with nforce drivers.

I'm also in no hurry to install the 2.6 kernel again

I tend to agree, cooker is just that. Everything isn't meant to work and the kernel sources might not be EXACTLY the same as the ones that got used for the kernel.

They may have been patched or something and the source on hasn't.

I have a test machine with MDK 10RC1 but no NVIDIA and its working fine BUT my main machine is still kernel 2.4 becuase the nvidia nforce stuff is closed source and they will probebly alter it once 2.6 ismore mainstream.

Everything isn't meant to work and the kernel sources might not be EXACTLY the same as the ones that got used for the kernel. 

They may have been patched or something and the source on hasn't. 

I have a test machine with MDK 10RC1 but no NVIDIA and its working fine BUT my main machine is still kernel 2.4 becuase the nvidia nforce stuff is closed source and they will probebly alter it once 2.6 ismore mainstream.

ah..didn't know that could happen..ok. I do have kernel-2.4.25.0.rc4.1mdk-1-1mdk and its source installed and working fine, but the Nvidia drivers just doesnt want to install. I install NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm using:

rpm --rebuild and rpmbuild --rebuild but still get the "/usr/lib/rpm/rpmb Permission Denied" message. Can any of you just explain WHY I get that error if I'm at root? figure at root I could do what I wish.. can those who did install this driver post the EXACT command that you used to install this.

Guess if all else fails I could always either just give up and wait till mandrake 10 and hope that has the driver (and it installs automatically) or just buy a seperate NIC which I want to avoid as I dont want to add another piece of hardware to my pc just to go online.

Thank you to all that replied.. if you could just answer my question about that "permission denied" message I would appreciate it. Other than that I guess I'll just go figure it out on my own and hope for the best.

thanks again to all of you!

Edited by raystorm

theres a lot of people saying, 'no don't touch that scary 2.6 kernel!'

in this case, that might well be wrong.

1) 2.6 has a fully working nvidia lan driver

2) 2.6 has a agpgart driver for the nforce chipsets

3) improved support for usb2

So, 2.6 is better in 3 of the major ways you would have problems with that mobo. The only other would be sata, which i don't know about.

Have you backed up your stuff and are you prepared to play with your system?

theres a lot of people saying, 'no don't touch that scary 2.6 kernel!'

in this case, that might well be wrong.

1) 2.6 has a fully working nvidia lan driver

2) 2.6 has a agpgart driver for the nforce chipsets

3) improved support for usb2

So, 2.6 is better in 3 of the major ways you would have problems with that mobo. The only other would be sata, which i don't know about.

Have you backed up your stuff and are you prepared to play with your system?

heh.. play with it?? sure! I installed linux to learn something new! Getting my LAN to work is a huge first hurdle for me as once it works I can post questions or search for stuff on the net IN linux instead of booting into windows.

I would install the latest kernel without hesitation if it means having my LAN work.. absolutely! but in my previous post I stated that I had failed dependecies.. guess I need to take of that stuff first of course, but where do I get them?

this is what it said:

V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 26752624

error: failed dependencies

mkinitrd >= 3.4.43-10mdk is needed by kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

sysfsutils is needed by kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

module-init-tools >= 0.9.15 is needed by kernel-2.6.3.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

ok fissy.. guess its time to upgrade the kernel ..which steps should I take?

digby: I'll check that dir and see whats there