Linux and CAD

phunni

One of the few open source CAD application:

http://www.opencascade.com/

I think Open Cascade is a lib, not a software: make the programming of a CAD software .. hum .. easy ;)

Looks good. The code was given by Matra Datavision.

We a currently but sloooowwwly evaluating it at my company. I'll let you know .. may be before end 2005 :P

roland

We use opencascade at my lab, but it's not all that great...

good to know. don't be surprised if you receive a pm from me in coming month .. if you don't mind.

you may try proE wildfire which is supported under Linux (haven't try myself, but i know someone who made it work).

Pro Engeneer Linux ??????? ha yes: "only" $5,545 :deal: and not a free software it seems. Any way good to know too.

Taking the risk of being OT, here is a M$ Win _Excellent_ CAD/CAM Software we use at work

link

At first we took it just to evaluate it (we were rich at this time :help: ) but it does the job and quite well ! really incredible for 1490 €

The company is at 500 meter of ours. Now we are beta tester and you can see part of our machine on there animated advertising on there home page. guess witch one :P

roland

Edited by roland

Well, i'm not an expert about opencascade, but there are other people other here that have spent years on it, so i may help.

Sure ProE is expensive, but i have an educational license because i teach design with it.

I haven't tested solidconcept. I have used a lot solidworks (same geometrical engine). What so great about solidconcept conpared to solidworks ?

I have leaned with catia. Version 4 on an unix workstation. To bad the version 5 doesn't work under linux. Dassault system is one of our main lab sponsorts...

pmpatrick:

Thanks for the link.

There is one the list called EAGLE v4.1. It's an Electronic layout editor. I know it but version 1.35 for MSDOS ....

Some good things, I'm used of it, and anyway that's the only one I've used.

But I'm glad there is a Linux version. Sure, I'm going to give it a try one day.

GodFlesh:

Well, i'm not an expert about opencascade, but there are other people other here that have spent years on it, so i may help.

Thanks. There is no hurry, I don't know when but I'll probably contact you.

I haven't tested solidconcept. I have used a lot solidworks (same geometrical engine). What so great about solidconcept conpared to solidworks ?

I don't use mechanical CAD/CAM myself. I asked the person that used Solid Concept at work. He don't know Solidworks. He said the main advantage of Solid Concept is it's price. An other advantage for us is that they are at 500 meter from us :P

BTW: Solid Concept developed there own graphical and geometrical engine. So it's not the same as Solidwork's and it can explain there low price.

Catia is the Roll Royce of the CAD/CAM software. A dream for most of designers I guess.

roland

Roland :

Solidworks, solidedge, parasolid, solidconcept, etc....

all use the same geometric engine. And they have by contract to add "solid" in their name.

I think i have a friend of mine who works for them (a special solution for sheet metal). I have to check that out.

Sinon t'es dans quel coin ?

Solidworks, solidedge, parasolid, solidconcept, etc....

all use the same geometric engine. And they have by contract to add "solid" in their name.

??? they told us that was there own engine :unsure:

I'll check it out too.

Sinon t'es dans quel coin ?

Lyon er..Villeurbanne

et toi ?