Video Drivers

kieren

I've done some searching around with google "web" and "groups" but can't seem to find any other drivers. I will continue my search, but in the meantime, here is my log from GLXGEARS:

[kieren@localhost kieren]$ glxgears

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

1434 frames in 5.0 seconds = 286.800 FPS

1560 frames in 5.0 seconds = 312.000 FPS

1460 frames in 5.0 seconds = 292.000 FPS

1480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 296.000 FPS

1560 frames in 5.0 seconds = 312.000 FPS

1460 frames in 5.0 seconds = 292.000 FPS

1540 frames in 5.0 seconds = 308.000 FPS

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"

after 21662 requests (19121 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

[kieren@localhost kieren]$

Notice the third line "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

Could this be anything to do with my problem? After running "hardDrake" to check my configuration, it asked me if I want to enable 3D hardware acceleration and I definately picked "yes". Could this mean the problem lies with XFree86?

No, I haven't tried to do anything manually like that, least of all delete files that I don't know what they do hehe. I'll keep trawling through forums for now I think. I can't be the first person with my hardware combo to use MDK9.2, I'm sure there's a way to get it working.

ati replaces the opengl system used by xfree with its own.

it looks like mandrake isn't happy about that!

not quite sure what to do about that, perhaps you could try and find that driver on mandrake's sites. They might have remade the rpm specially for mandrake linux.

MDK have ATI drivers for club members. For your kernel (2.4.22-10) use ATI drivers and ATI GL library version 3.2.5-3. (you might need to download and install both enterprise and standard versions)

I use those with Radeon M9000, glxgears gives 1200 FPS and tux racer works ... but you need to find a right combination, I ended up using 3.2.8-92 drivers (kernel 2.4.22-26) and GL library version 3.2.5-3. They have 3.7.2 drivers as well (the latest ATI drivers, I think), but I couldn't get 3D aceleration working with them. Also, I can't get the depth less than 24bpp and an external monitor working at all...

Also, make sure to disable dri in the Options (XF86Config-4). The driver will provide its own DRI, and that option may conflict if set as it tries to enable XFree's on DRI flavor.

It's a good idea to search for all libGL* on your system, and see what they are symlinked to. All of them should be symlinks to the libGL files provided by the ATI drivers package. Be careful, though--some files might end up producing recursive symlinks -> not good. ;)

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

Also, make sure to disable dri in the Options (XF86Config-4). The driver will provide its own DRI, and that option may conflict if set as it tries to enable XFree's on DRI flavor.

It's a good idea to search for all libGL* on your system, and see what they are symlinked to. All of them should be symlinks to the libGL files provided by the ATI drivers package. Be careful, though--some files might end up producing recursive symlinks -> not good. ;)

-Sascha.rb

A followup question,

I have MESA packages installed

libMesaGL1

libMesaGLU1

libMesaglut3

Mesa

libMesaGLU1-devel

Mesa-demos

xmms-mesa

Apparently, they provide same OpenGL functionality as ATI_GLX. Should I uninstall them?

And how do I disable DRI in XF86Config-4 ?

disclaimer: i have set mine up, but in gentoo

you don't need to uninstall mesa afaik, i just do this "opengl-update ati"

and that means the system uses ATI's opengl

as for disabling DRI in the config file, the best thing to do is just run ATI's XF86config-4 file maker "fglrxconfig." You might have to search your system for that utility.

disclaimer: i have set mine up, but in gentoo

you don't need to uninstall mesa afaik, i just do this "opengl-update ati"

and that means the system uses ATI's opengl

as for disabling DRI in the config file, the best thing to do is just run ATI's XF86config-4 file maker "fglrxconfig." You might have to search your system for that utility.

I use ATI drivers from MDK Club. Neither fglrxconfig nor opengl-update are installed...

#which fglrxconfig
which: no fglrxconfig in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)
# which opengl-update
which: no opengl-update in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin)

Where do I get those?

fissy@darwin fissy $ which fglrxconfig

/opt/ati/bin/fglrxconfig

you might need to try searching for it:

updatedb (as root)

locate fglrxconfig

it ought to be there, its a standard part of the ati drivers, i doubt mandrake would remove it, its useful (i could be wrong)

i'm looking into the opengl-update thing

fissy@darwin fissy $ which fglrxconfig

/opt/ati/bin/fglrxconfig

you might need to try searching for it:

updatedb (as root)

locate fglrxconfig

it ought to be there, its a standard part of the ati drivers, i doubt mandrake would remove it, its useful (i could be wrong)

Well, done that and also checked rpm database (kpackage->find file), fglrxconfig is not there... they removed it!

fglrxconfig isn't a package in its own right, its part of the ati driver rpm afaik.

I direct you here: http://www.MandrakeUsers.org/index.php?sho...indpost&p=96856

you force the ati driver rpm to install, and it replaces the libgl with its own, which is what you want.

**Warning** back up your stuff in case it breaks X completely

now that you have ati stuff installed, you should be able to search for fglrxconfig (updatedb again)

also, make sure you have your kernel source installed.