Video Drivers

kieren

I am running Mandrake 9.2 with an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. I tried out a couple of games today, namely Tuxracer, and I'm getting something like 2FPS if I'm lucky. The information from the "Mandrake Control Centre" says it has picked my card up as "Radeon RV300 NE [Radeon 9700]" and the module is "Card:ATI Radeon (fglrx" .

Is there some sort of setting I can tweak or optimise? Or am I using the wrong driver or something? Surely I should be able to get more than 2FPS on a game like Tuxracer.

Any help appreciated.

I went to www.ati.com and they have three drivers, each for a different version of Xfree86. One for version 4.1.0, one for 4.2.0 and one for 4.3.0. I suggests I run Check.sh to find out what version of Xfree86 I have. I downloaded and ran Check.sh, and got the following code:

[kieren@localhost Downloads]$ ls

Check.sh Macromedia Flash/ Pingus/ spacesim/

[kieren@localhost Downloads]$ sh Check.sh

: command not found

'heck.sh: line 98: syntax error near unexpected token `

'heck.sh: line 98: `GetOsInfo()

Does this file have to be in a specific directory to run? Is there any other way I can find out my version of Xfree86? After reading this thread I ran glxgears and got a framerate of 300-320fps, way too low by the sounds of things.

If you are using kde, you can open the desktop configuration program, and under the information section, click on "X" and it will tell you your running version of X.

i have the same card as you (a 9700 - just yours but a bit quicker :P )

and let me tell you, its not easy, but i have it working, and get about 2000 fps (i was getting 4000 at one point, i seem to have done something... grrr)

i didn't get mine working in mandrake, i use gentoo, but to a large extent that is probably irrelevant.

you'll be using xfree86 4.3.0 with mandrake 9.2, tell me which mobo do you have?

one more thing, installing the drivers and altering your xfree86 config file can cause your system to be unbootable, believe me, its a hassle. perhaps have a knoppix disc at the ready.

OK, logged into KDE and I am definately running Xfree86 4.3.

Here is my system spec :

Asus A7N8X (NForce2)

AMD 2600+ XP

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro

1024MB DDR 2100

Seagate 160GB IDE

LiteOn DVDRW LDW-451S

SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer

3Com 10/100 NIC

Gonna re-burn my install disks (lent old ones to a freind at the weekend) and have a go at installing these. Wish me luck! :thumbs:

Sorry for my newbieness, but how do I find out the exact kernel?

What I meant about the disks was, I'm going to burn the system disks before installing the ATI drivers incase I FUBAR my boot sequence or something. I don't want to do too much without having the ability to reinstall LILO.

What I meant about the disks was, I'm going to burn the system disks before installing the ATI drivers incase I  FUBAR my boot sequence or something. I don't want to do too much without having the ability to reinstall LILO.

ahhhh, very sensible, the mandrake install cd is good for sorting out boot problems :-)

for you kernel version, type 'cat /proc/version'

/proc is full of information about your system, a couple of examples are in my signature.

[kieren@localhost kieren]$ cat /proc/version

Linux version 2.4.22-10mdkenterprise (nplanel@no.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.3.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.2 3.3.1-2mdk)) #1 SMP Thu Sep 18 11:46:49 CEST 2003

[kieren@localhost kieren]$

So which is the kernel version? "Linux version" or "gcc version"?

Just had a stab at installing the ATI closed source drivers from here but without much success. Result:

[root@localhost Downloads]# ls -l

total 2824

-rw------- 1 kieren kieren 13218 Feb 22 22:29 Check.sh

-rw------- 1 kieren kieren 2856011 Feb 24 19:20 fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm

drwxrwxr-x 3 kieren kieren 4096 Feb 12 08:56 Macromedia Flash/

drwxrwxr-x 3 kieren kieren 4096 Feb 12 08:56 Pingus/

drwxr-xr-x 3 kieren kieren 4096 Feb 12 17:08 spacesim/

[root@localhost Downloads]# urpmi fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm

unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)"

unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)"

unable to retrieve pathname for removable medium "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)"

installing fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0.i386.rpm

Preparing... ##################################################

Installation failed:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.7.0 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-24.4.92mdk

[root@localhost Downloads]#

Any ideas why it's talking about pathnames for the installation CDs? Should I put any of them in the drive during install?

Your kernel is 2.4.22.-10mdkenterprise. Right now, the vast majority of the current desktop linux distros are using 2.4 series kernels. A lot of the new ones that are still in testing stages are using 2.6. This should help you if you ever switch to a new distro and have to figure this out. I believe that you can also get your kernel version using "uname -r."

Oh, and gcc is the compiler.

I do not know ati, but it looks looks you may be installing the wrong driver. The conflict is with X, which is not good news!!

Is there a different driver to download?

I do not know ati, but it looks looks you may be installing the wrong driver. The conflict is with X, which is not good news!!

Is there a different driver to download?

Not according to ATI. I downloaded the one it said matched my XFree86 version. However, on closer inspection during an attempt to redownload it, it said something about a realaudio plugin. Have ATI screwed up their link? Does anyone know of another location to get the ATI driver for my Kernel version?

ati replaces the opengl system used by xfree with its own.

it looks like mandrake isn't happy about that!

not quite sure what to do about that, perhaps you could try and find that driver on mandrake's sites. They might have remade the rpm specially for mandrake linux.