OpenOffice

jeanrev

what method are you using to try to open OpenOffice Writer? are you using the shortcut at kicker->office->wordprocessors->openoffice.org writer? if so, right click kicker, choose "menu editor". when it loads, find the shortcut to openoffice writer & make sure the path to the executable is correct. it should look something like this........ /usr/local/openoffice.org1.1.0/program/swriter. please note, if your install is in another diectory then your path will slightly differ, but the end of the path should point to /program/swriter. if it's incorrect, change it, then click the "save" icon on the menu editor to save your changes & try opening writer from the kicker shortcut again. you may have to restart KDE for the change to take effect.

if that doesn't work, or your path was correct to begin with, try running writer from terminal & check for any error messages & please post them here. to open writer from terminal, you should be able to do it one of 2 ways........

from the user $ prompt just type oowriter then hit enter. or, you can navigate to your openoffice program folder (the same path as what your kicker shortcut points to) & type swriter & hit enter.

post back with your results.

Chris

You could also try to move the users openoffice directory in the home dir, and then try again. I have found that that sometimes conflicts and the program won't start (between different versions).

In any case, I can recommend to upgrade, the OOo of 9.1 is 1.0.3 or so, now OOo is past 1.1 and the speed gain alone is worth it.

You're not by any chance using a magazine version of Mdk9.1 are you?? I seem to remember the version that came with Linux format had some silly issue with language packages that meant a canadian package was installed instead of a GB one.

Posting the output of "rpm-qa | grep -i openoffice" (without the "s) should help verify this.

I have just installed mandrake 9.1 and when I try to open OpenOffice org Writer the egg timer starts

and after a momment stops without any opening of the application

[jean@localhost jean]$ oowriter

Couldn't open /home/jean/.openoffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Setup.xml:

No such file or directory at /usr//bin/oowriter line 404

[jean@localhost jean]$

[jean@localhost jean]$ rpm -qa | grep -i openoffice

OpenOffice.org-libs-1.0.2-7mdk

OpenOffice.org-l10n-fr-1.0.2-7mdk

OpenOffice.org-help-fr-1.0.2-7mdk

OpenOffice.org-1.0.2-7mdk

[jean@localhost jean]$

couldn't find the shortcut path in the kicker menu (right clic on K)

thanks

:juggle:

jeanrev........

to answer your last question about the latest OpenOffice........

yes, by all means you can, & probably should, install the newest version of OpenOffice. the latest stable version is OpenOffice1.1. it can be found Here . download the tar.gz file & read & follow the installation instructions on the same site & you should have no problems.

as for your current problem........

by default, MDK installs OpenOffice if you selected that package during install. your output of GREP shows that OpenOffice is installed. the default shortcut location will be found where i stated earlier, in kicker->office->wordprocessors->openoffice writer. you should be able to just click on that shortcut & OpenOffice will run. if it doesn't, to make sure the shortcut path is correct, you must do more than just right click on the "K" (kicker) icon. you must right click on the "K" then choose the option that says "menu editor". that will open up the KickerMenuEditor. in the left panel of the editor you will see the applications that are in your Kicker menu. navigate to the location where OpenOffice Writer is located, which would be the aforementioned "office->wordprocessors". click on the entry for OpenOffice Writer, then look in the right panel. look for the executable path to the OpenOffice Writer program & refer to my earlier post to make sure that path is correct. if it isn't, make it correct & save your menu settings before closing the menu editor. you may need to restart KDE for the settings to take effect.

and, try opening OpenOffice Writer using the second method i described earlier. from terminal, cd to the program directory of your current OpenOffice install & type swriter & hit enter. it should open that way. i'm not sure where the default MDK install of OpenOffice is located since i have my OpenOffice installed to my own preferred directory (/opt). i THINK the default MDK install is in one of the following locations....... /usr/local/openoffice.org or /usr/share/openoffice.org.

Chris

Chris Z.......

Thanks for your reply

I did the right click on the "K" then choose the option that says "menu editor". that opens up the KickerMenuEditor. in the left panel of the editor I saw the applications that are in my Kicker menu. I navigated to the location where OpenOffice Writer is located, and clicked on the entry for OpenOffice Writer, then looked in the right panel. The executable path to the OpenOffice Writer program is not there : I found the following information :

Name : OpenOffice org Writer

Description : OpenOffice word processor Command : oowriter and no more information on the second window's tab

I found a file :/usr/lib/openoffice/program/swriter.

When I click on it the window of OpenOffice.org1.0.2 appears for a short time then disappears

I then unistalled the OpenOffice rpms from the computer with the rpms manager of MDK Control Panel and tried to install the new version (1.1.0) stored on the CD 2 of Linux Mandrake 9.2 by a click on the rpm file

during the install some conflicts occured and the install was suspended (I suppressed the 2 unloaded packages as was proposed by a window)

I don't use MDK9.2 which appears to me more unstable than 9.1

What am i gona do now ?

:juggle:

hmmm..........

AFAIK, you can't install mdk9.2 apps on mdk9.1. they are compiled for 9.2 specifically, so that's why you had troubles trying to install OOo from the 9.2 disc. if you are still using mdk9.1, here's what i'd do at this point.

go to MCC->remove software. type office in the search box, click search, & remove anything that might come up that has to do with Open Office ONLY. if nothing comes up, then proceed to step 2.......

go to MCC->install software. type office in the search box, click search. choose the Open Office version from your mdk9.1 cd's. reinstall that version of Open Office and any dependencies it asks for. restart KDE to let it rebuild your menus. (not sure if you'd need to do that last part, but i've found you have to sometimes) go to kicker & try opening Open Office from the shortcut with your fresh installed version. if that don't work, then i'm running out of ideas, sorry to say.

post back with your results.

Chris