No Dialup Shortcut

brads

I have managed to install Mandrake 9.2 and have configured my internet connection and mail programs. My internet connection works OK once connected however, in order to connect to the internet, i have to do the following:

Start/Configuration/Configure Your Modem/log in as root/Mandrake Control Center/Network & Internet/DrakConnect/ then, in the `InternetAccess` section, I have to click on `Connect`. After the connection is establishedI have to minimise this `Mandrake Control Center` window to the taskbar in order to terminate the connection when I have finished with it. No flashing computers symbol appears in the system tray as in Windows. ( I have tried, briefly, a trial version of Xandros and things seemed to work ok with a shortcut in the start menu and the flashing lights in the system tray) This procedure is obviously not normal and I think there should be a shortcut in the start menu under Start/Networking/Remote Access/KPPP (internet dialup tool) but I have no such entry there or anywhere else. Opening a mail application and clicking on `Fetch Mail` or whatever won`t bring up the internet connection box either. My problem is that the re is probably a simple answer but, as I have no knowledge of either Mandrake or Linux in general, the whole thing looks more daunting with each step. Any help, in small words for a rank newbie,

would be appreciated.

Cheers: Brads

Sorry People. Should have read the post properly before I pressed the button;

The line above should read as follows:

Start/Configuration/Configure Your COMPUTER/log in as root/Mandrake Control Center/Network & Internet/DrakConnect/ then, in the `InternetAccess` section, I have to click on `Connect`. Not `Configure your MODEM` as I put it.

Hi brad

OK I will assume you are using KDE.

kppp will be in the menu under network/remote connections, or in the "what to do?" menu

When I used KDE I set it up so that a left click on the mouse brought up my menu, But just open the menu scroll down to network and then to remote connections and then kppp

network -> remote connections -> kppp

Another option is to open a terminal and simply type kppp and hit enter.

As for a flashing compurt in the sys tray, I don't know about that, but kppp will put an icon in the tray that flashes when there is traffic and you can left click on it to get details or disconnect, it has to set up from the kppp GUI click setup and then scroll right to Misc and then just check the dock in panel box

kppp GUI -> set up -> Misc -> Dock in panel box

GUI - graphic user interface (I think) It is how you normally control a program.

If you have any problems let me know

Hi Kilimanjaro

Thanks for the reply:

Tried your suggestions and found as follows:

>OK I will assume you are using KDE.

Yes

>kppp will be in the menu under network/remote connections, or in the "what to >do?" menu

KPPP is not under network/remote connections on my computer and there is no "What to do " folder on my start menu.

>When I used KDE I set it up so that a left click on the mouse brought up my >menu, But just open the menu scroll down to network and then to remote connections and then kppp

See above. I know it should be there but it`s not.

>network -> remote connections -> kppp

Afraid not on my box.

>Another option is to open a terminal and simply type kppp and hit enter.

Did that. Brought up Konsole, typed kppp & hit enter. Got "KPPP: Command Not Found"

>As for a flashing compurt in the sys tray, I don't know about that, but kppp will >put an icon in the tray that flashes when there is traffic and you can left click on it >to get details or disconnect, it has to set up from the kppp GUI click setup and >then scroll right to Misc and then just check the dock in panel box

>kppp GUI -> set up -> Misc -> Dock in panel box

Have no idea where to find that but suspect I have to find KPPP first

>GUI - graphic user interface (I think) It is how you normally control a program.

>If you have any problems let me know

Problems? Boy have I got problems :-)

Thanks again.

Check it in a console with "locate kppp" and see what you get. The console (terminal window) is the the little monitor icon with a sea shell in the lower left corner. Click that to open and type $ locate kppp (Do not type the $ sign part, just the locate kppp)

It will list the directory where any file named kppp is located so you'll know where it is. Probably KPPP executable is in /usr/bin directory if it is installed.

If you cannot find a menu link to it you can use MENU DRAKE in Mandrake Control Center (Under SYSTEM) to make one or use kmenuedit (from konsole type "kmenuedit" to open it (do not type quotes) if you are the only user on the computer.

If on the other hand you do not have KPPP installed, then we'll have to go a different direction because you are not using KPPP but another modem driver interface.

Edited by kmack

For some reason, in Mandrake 9.2, kppp is not installed. From a console as root, type without quotes "urpmi kdenetwork-kppp-3.1.3-37mdk". Or from gui, open up rpmdrake and install it. You should then be able to chose it from the menu and drag the shorcut onto the desktop.

Edited by spiedra

Brads,

Hang in there and keep asking questions and trying things. Takes a few months to learn the differences and find your way around, but it is really worth it. You'll learn to love the amount of control you can use in linux products.

Enjoy! :D

>Hang in there and keep asking questions and trying things. Takes a few months to >learn the differences and find your way around, but it is really worth it. You'll >learn to love the amount of control you can use in linux products.

Thanks! I am learning new things all the time even over the few days I`ve had it installed. Been trying a few things too. Some work, some don`t. I`m not greatly worried about crashing the system. I have Mandrake installed on it`s own box. A hand-me-down from my son who upgraded. It`s a Compaq AMD 533 but only has 128mb of ram which probably explains why apps take an age to boot sometimes. Other box, a P3-500 with 256mb of ram running W98se. One thing which annoys me at the moment is the way windows forget their position and size on the desktop between sessions unless they are maximised when closed.

May find a fix in time.

Cheers for now.

Brads

One thing which annoys me at the moment is the way windows forget their position and size on the desktop between sessions unless they are maximised when closed.

May find a fix in time.

Cheers for now.

Brads

Join the club. That app decides that. If an app doesn't do it, let the developers of the app know that you'd like to see it implemented.

If the app decides the position and state of the windows there is obviously a difference between windows and Linux versions of some apps. I have Thunderbird installed on both boxes. The windows version behaves itself as far as remembering but the Linux version does not.Ah well.....not the end of civilisation as we know it eh? :-)