MADWIFI, how-to?

highking

I was wondering if there is some kind of how-to on installing the MADWIFI driver.

I'm not at all into compiling my own stuff, have compiled a new kernel once using a srpm for Mandrake, but that's about where my knowledge stops.

I understand I have to patch, and recompile the kernel for getting this thing to work, but I can't find out HOW to do this.

Is there some kind of step-by step how-to on installing and configuring this thing?

BTW, I'm using a Conceptronic C54C PCMCIA card, wich should work great with the MADWIFI driver (So I was told by the Conceptronic helpdesk, wich I asked about this thing before I even bought it. They say it works, but they don't support it.)

I was in the same boat as you over the holidays in December. What I would suggest is to throw yourself at the mercy of the madwifi mailing list. http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=82936

Make sure you've read the documentation that comes with the driver first! (If that doesn't make sense to you, like it didn't for me, try the links below. Point being: don't bother the mailing list until you've tried everything they say to; they're bad about replying.)

Or, you can sift through my messages on the topic; I don't think you'll have the same problems as I, but I mentioned a number of links which were helpful to me.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10153

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10380

Also, feel free to PM me with any questions. I don't promise to know the answers, but I'll try. :D

Edited by Andrewski

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry for kicking this old topic, but I haven't got the time to play with the information yet. At work I downloaded MDK10 community, and installed that on my laptop.

Thing is, that 10 seems to detect my card, but doesn't install it.

When I try to make a "new" wireless connection at the Control Center, it asks me to manually select a driver, but I don't know what driver I need to choose, or if the correct driver is there anyway.

Does anyone know with one I should choose? I've tried some, but none of them seems to work...

Guest pipplo

I was having this same problem, it wasn't creating a conection for the card, but the card was installed and lighting up and everything. Basically i had to create my own ifcfg-* for the device to make it start the network with it.

If you look in the pcmcia FAQ you can see what i did with my card..maybe that will help.

What do you see when you run

iwconfig and ifconfig -a

?