DMI pool?

clevedonal

I wanted to completely remove my 40gb seagate HD - (currently running in main system as 2nd IDE slave, with mdk9.1)- place it in a recently acquired 'cheap Pc', (see previous post) format it and do a clean install of MDK9.2 from a DVD version free with 'Linux format' mag. i shut down, took HD out, reboot, enter BIOS and confirm HD removal, BUT, into the boot-up sequence the machine locked up at "verifying DMI pool" - a stream of 01,01,01's. when i put HD back all is well... should i risk formatting the drive in situ before removal or will this confuse it further? removing it via windows' 'control panel' wont do any good will it? i tried changing 1st boot device, but that seemed to make no difference....

athlon 1.3

512mb

64mb nvidia

ide 1: (M) IBM deskstar 46gb, Win2000

(S) creative dvd

ide 2: (M) liteon cdrw

(S) seagate barracuda 40gb mdk9.1

it is my intention to replace the seagate 40gb with another large drive as and when finances allow - i simply wanted to play with mdk9.2 on a stand-alone system, but i think i'll have to buy a new drive and stick it in the 'new'system....

all thoughts/suggestions/mockery welcomed!

The HD that is in the machine now...did you have to change the jumper when you originally added the 40 GB drive that you just removed? If I remember correctly, the HD that was in my desktop was set to CS when it was alone and set to Master when I added the second HD, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the headgear advice.... the reflections from my shiny top can dazzle passers-by and cause traffic accidents.... maybe i'll get fitted for a rug :afro: ?? or invest in some "Anti-Glare Head Polish" :tm: from my local pate sundries store...

the error is definitely in the BIOS boot sequence before win20000000 starts - halts on black BIOS screen... reading "verifying DMI pool data 01 01 01 01 01" <around 6 lines of this 01's then halt .... and the seagate is jumpered as 'slave' rather than "cable select" - i think it is telling me it wants to stay where it is.... and to cough for a new h/d - @£40 for a 7200 80gb from Ebuyer - i take it mandrake 9.1/ 9.2 will be happy in a home with such a lot of living space?

thanks guys

Ok, let me see if I have this correct.

You want to remove the Seagate (which has MDK on it) from the computer and put itin another older computer. But, when you remove the Seagate and try to boot from the one HD left (which only has Windows on it), but you get that error?

If the answer to that question is 'Yes'. Use a Windows rescue disk in the computer with the Seagate removed, so that you can boot to a DOS prompt and type

fdisk /mbr

Then reboot and, hopefully, all will be well.