Dell Linux Engineers Launch Linux Site

spinynorman

:thumbs:

I guess I have to change my mind about Dell ( at work they send us 2 fax a week of advertising and continued even after I've told them to stop, that sucks :angry:).

OK, they talk about RH, Suse, Debian, Salkware .. but no Mandrake :(, but hey that's a good start.

roland

UGH! I HATE DELL! About a month after we got our new DELL comp, I was back on the 4 year old compaq...DELLs SUCK! Had to call tech support about 5 times because it broke...every time they tried to blame it on a virus...we use 3 antivirus progs, all regularly updated. Our modem doesn't work, so we had to switch to cable internet (which we were planning on anyways...but not for a few months)...The only OS choice they gave us was windoze XP...most, if not all of you, know how I feel about that...ONE WEEK after our waranty expired, our hard drive got fried...cost $100 to replace...our old Gateway (about 7 years ago) had some problem and had to get the motherboard replaced...they sent us one free...about a year after the waranty expired. I have emailed and called them for tech support at least 30 times, not one of which I got a working answer to...the keyboard they sent us broke within a few months...not to mention they use the cheapest parts I've ever seen...the hard drive was Western Digital...I look on pricewatch for hard drives, that's always the cheapest one there...

so yea...I'm not happy about this...especially if it's as 'good' as their computers and tech support...

Edited by Urza9814

I graduated from Austin, and even I think that Dell computers are usually overpriced piece of junks. The only good thing that comes from Dell is their Latitude series of laptops.. But since Dell (and every other companies out there for that matter) outsource their manufacturing to Taiwanese companies, I don't even know the quality of Dell computers anymore.

I graduated from Austin, and even I think that Dell computers are usually overpriced piece of junks. The only good thing that comes from Dell is their Latitude series of laptops.. But since Dell (and every other companies out there for that matter) outsource their manufacturing to Taiwanese companies, I don't even know the quality of Dell computers anymore.

bottom of the line chips.... dell is the AOL of the computer world.... EZ as dell.... bwahahahahaaha although I do agree the laptops are decent coz you cant build a nice clone laptop with all the custom chipset and cards u like in it.... AHHHHHH Im kinda drunk.... its my day off.... But for realz, my dad bought a dell, after I tried to convince him to let me build him a pc, and the thing was a bloatware system recources hogging POS. 1.8ghz P4 256 mbram.... my machine- 550 p3, 320 mbram, truly killed daddys dell in speed, stability and overall reliablitiy.... dell, u are the best, we love you dell :thumbs: oh yea, both comparisons basesd on winXP

I prefer to build my own, and do when I have time. But, I am the proud owner of 2 Dells. They are old now though, one is a XPS500 the other a XPS b800r. The b800r is so BAD that its faster than any 933 I've come accross.

The thing I see most with Dells, people tend to buy the wrong models. Yes, they do have junk. And yes they do have high quality systems too. You get what you pay for.

With Dell, its always best to go with whatever they are calling the performace model at the time.

In the end though, if you want a REAL GOOD computer.... Build it yourself. I tend to build me one ever other computer so.( Maybe I should say, ever other major upgrade)

Tech

Note: I built my last: Intel 2.66, 1gb ram, 80gb seagate, 60gb maxtor, ASUS v9180, LG cdrw, dvd-rom.

a ) I got a custom built DELL...still sucks

b ) last 'preformance model' I saw was $400...I don't think that's gonna be a top of the line computer there...

c ) my mom wasn't willing to go over $1500...and I never thought of building one myself...mainly because that was before I knew of pricewatch.com

Edited by Urza9814