OpenOffice disappearing menu issue

kmack

I am having a problem with my OpenOffice menu items disappearing from the kde menus. Not sure what is causing it.

I am running 1.1 installed from the tar.gz file and have done both manual KDE menu entries and Menudrake System entries and they work for a few days/weeks then disappear! Not sure what can change things like that? (msec?)

One problem that I think is part of it is that Mandrake is a bit different in its links to icons and .desktop files than RH or other distros. So the normal OO install does not place the files in the Mdk-Kde menu directory properly.

Anyone had any luck getting the OO menu items and icons to stay put? :wall:

p.s. Also how do I get the OO icons to show up as choices in Menudrake? I got it going once but after a restart it did not work again. Wierd.

p.p.s. Another update. I copied the appropriate .desktop files (i.e. writer.desktop) from the /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/share/kde/net directory to the appropriate directories in /usr/share/applnk-mdk/Office and the menu items all work and have icons. Even lasted through a shutdown and later a restart. But this has been done before and then it mysteriously disappears. I think something is resetting to the menudrake saved config or something.

Edited by kmack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for input Scoopy!

I'm still on 9.1 with lots of texstar stuff and non-mdk rpms. Not sure what was causing the loss of the menus but happened three times. I reset them as above and they are still holding.

I did a user install since I am the only user on this machine. Next time I'll do the net install, but more than likely I will put PCLinuxOS on my harddrive and use it as my main distro. It is kind of fun to play with it. :D

just a thought..........

do you have KDE set to "restore previous session" when logging out? if not, that could be the cause. check to see if "Kontrol Center->components->session manager->on login->restore previous session" is checked.

Chris

hmmm.......

that is weird. ghosts in the machine, as they say. :P

i have OOo1.1 installed on mdk9.2, but i had it installed on mdk9.1 before i upgraded. i did the tar.gz installation on both, as user. i installed to my /opt directory. i've never had a problem with kicker menus or icons disappearing for OpenOffice. i basically did what you're doing to add the menu entries for OOo.......opened menudrake (or kmenuedit.........either one does the same thing), added menu entries for various OOo apps, added the executable path, clicked on the generic icon to choose the appropriate OOo icons, then saved the new configuration. i didn't have to copy any icon from one directory to another. they just all showed up as icon choices. could it be that you have an incorrect path to the various OpenOffice executables? (just another guess there) for example: here's what the path to my OpenOffice Writer menu shortcut looks like on my install.......

/opt/openoffice.org1.1.0/program/swriter

other than double checking the executable paths, i'm stumped for now. sorry..... :unsure:

Chris

Chris,

Thanks again! At least for now it has held together for a couple weeks. :P

My path is the same. There is a discrepancy in the directory that Mdk kde uses that causes it to be a bit wierd, but that should not be the problem.

Hantu be gone... :angry:

I just hate loose ends and always am trying to figure out how to fix them. It makes it fun, right? :thumbs: