Promise Ultra100 TX2; compatible?

qmdm

Because i have not enough ide port i want to buy a Promise Ultra100 TX2. My only question is; is it compatible with madrake 9.2. I cant find it anywhere in the hardware compatibility list.

Ps i am a newbie, and i know very little of mandrake or linux :unsure:

Greetings maarten

Edited by qmdm

Check the manufacturer's website for drivers for Linux, to see if any are available.

I have the older Promise Ultra 100(not TX2) and it works fine under mandrake out of the box and most other linux distros(exception == Mepis) without any additional drivers. With my card you have to have all the hard drives on the Promise card and put the optical drives on the onboard ide ports.

Edited by pmpatrick

• 3 weeks later...

Maarten, if you have an ata100 (ultra100) controller on your motherboard, or ata66, it will probably work fine.

Some motherboards + promise pci controllers + Mandrake do NOT mix: Mandrake likes to SWAP the order of the Mobo and PCI card IDE controller. :screwy:

I have had this particular problem with the ASRock K7VT2 and Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee mobos. Both have ata133 controllers on the motherboard.

It is very annoying when HDA shows up as HDE in Mandrake install: Install and you won't be able to boot. :wall::wall::wall: