First Time Wizard

keesiewonder

How may I force the system to run the Mandrake first time wizard?  I managed to cancel out of it the first time I saw it, but now know it'd be helpful to me.

Susan

key word/s are first time. If you run

locate first

or

locate firstime

or the same with slocate you find

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mandrake_firstime :thumbs:

I'm not able to be at my system now (battery needs recharge, power supply is at home, my system is at work with me), but what I remember is running /etc/rc.d/init.d/mandrake_firstime from the shell seems to rebuild Mozilla registries. I then run kde, and I don't see the startup that I'm looking for. What I'm after is under Demos - KDE off of Mandrake's main page. I'm confused why running mandrake_firstime rebuilds something having to do with Mozilla. Should I be running Mozilla instead to get to the KDE demo????? If so, how do I start Mozilla from the shell?

Thanks for your patience.

Susan

well,I asked Steve if it worked and he said yes :huh: :D .

After digging more I found

Name: drakfirsttime

Version: 0.92-4.2.93mdk

Size: 3093 KB

Summary: The Mandrake First Time Wizard

Description: The Mandrake First Wizard is a config tool to help user set up some basics things like themes&window managers, registration at mandrakeclub/mandrakeexpert the first time you login. This package also includes the drakclub and drakmail wizards for the settings of club urpmi sources and mail clients respectively.

Files:

?/usr/X11R6/bin/drakclub

?/usr/X11R6/bin/drakfw

?/usr/X11R6/bin/drakmail

But

/usr/X11R6/bin/drakfw

in kde gives me

[root@localhost root]# /usr/X11R6/bin/drakfw

This wizard cannot be launched manually at /usr/X11R6/bin/drakfw line 8.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/X11R6/bin/drakfw line 9.

so I looked

vi /usr/X11R6/bin/drakfw

#!/usr/bin/perl

use lib qw(/usr/lib/libDrakX);
use interactive;
use drakfirsttime::gui;

BEGIN {
   $ENV{COLORTERM} and die("This wizard cannot be launched manually");
};

my $in = 'interactive'->vnew;
drakfirsttime::gui->new('drakfw');

so if someone knows how to get around that, you'll have you firstime wizard.

Steve?

Edited by bvc

I've even tried removing my login susan, adding a new user susan, then running kde from the shell ... and it still does not bring up the wizard. I realize getting to this wizard is not critical to my system working, but I am frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a way to rerun it. It seems to be a one time thing for the computer, not for a user. I expect a way I can get to it (the only way?) is to re-install Mandrake. I'll stubbornly hold out a little while longer for another work around ...

Thanks,

Susan

When I saw it, it *was* the first run of X for user susan, so I did see it. (I removed and added susan many times yesterday just trying to see this shy wizard!)

Perhaps if you first, as Steve suggested, run /etc/rc.d/init.d/mandrake_firstime and then startx, *all under the same user*, you'll see it. For me, to run mandrake_firstime I needed to be root ... so maybe the firstime flag is thus also set only for root. Running firstime certainly didn't ask me which user I was running it for, and does not seem to have assumed firstime should be flagged for all users on the system. I haven't tried running startx as root ... I'm ready to move on to my next challenge: I had a dual boot system for about 24 hours (other is WinXP), but now cannot run WinXP due to autochk not being found and a system manager initialization process termination ...

Thanks to everyone who posted on this topic. I greatly appreciate your help and perserverance. (And am rather annoyed with the instructor of my Linux class ...)

Susan