Comma in Mozilla

Hashimoto

Ladies and Gents,

Does anybody know why does this happen and how to fix it:

I have a finnish keyboard. The num pad has comma (,) as the decimal separator. and it has been defined as such in the KDE control panel. In KDE and other apps it seems to produce the proper sign, but not so with the Mozilla. Push this button and pipe (|) comes on the screen. Pushing comma on the alphabet keyboard is OK, however. This is somewhat annoying at least when I'm paying my bills on line.

So if there are any ideas on how to fix this, I would appreciate them.

BR

Hashimoto

ML9.2

I know what you mean, its like a itch....

At least using konqueror should stop you making errors in online translations...

And you'd think a bit of respect might go a long way in supporting Finnish in Linux :D

p.s. Don't wanna upset ya but have you considered using a US keyb ??

I have to admit not being very knowledgeable about Finish apart from it being of of the three non-latin European languages and having 16 cases

(I can't even imagine what you do with 16 cases :D)

Anyway, do you need any non latin characters???? If so then i guess you need to have the keyboard but if not ....

I have no idea of what distro / mozilla version you are using but I know language support for anything other than english is currently very flaky. RedHat have started removing various language packs (may be upstream I'm not sure) until things get sorted.

Yeah, even French support is flaky in Mozilla.

With KDE Its 100%.... I accidentally booted knoppix in french the other day and everything is PERFECT!!! (I meant to boot with a fr keyboard but I booted with french everything ) as it happens its still in French...

The only thing that annoysme is the shortcut menu's change !!!!

I hate my French keyboard with a vengance but it was all I could get here with wireless USB which I needed for my XBOX!!!!

Its compounded by me having an American keyb at work and a Danish one on the computer next to it not to mention UK on my laptop.

Anyone noticing my keyboard dyslexia on my posts will wish i had 4 American keyboards!!!

What I really want is an INTERNATIONAL KEYBOARD!!!!

One where the important things like :wq! are in the same place and the national stuff is in another place. I'd Like to be able to type in French WITHOUT LOOSING my keybaord placement....

For instance the Danish keyboard is pretty good, the three extra characters are in theplace of : @ and > on an American

But you can always type OO,AA or AE in Danish or Norwegain or Swedish, perhaps not on a job app but its pretty easy to search replace later. But you can't to the same in French. In German you can replace on SS and pretty consistently be correct!

One of these days if noone else does it Ill do it out of pure frustration!!!!

Perhaps you could buy a multimedia keyboard (ick, I know) in the language of your choice (probably US) and then re-map all those extra keys to produce the characters you want.

Disclaimer, this is just an idea - I have no idea of its feasibility

Yeah.... its really frustrating becuase I have to type in French, I have no choice. My present way is either change the keyboard when Im typing a letter OR use my own code (e^, e` etc) and search and replace at the end.

Its just not possible top type normally and use ALT+xxxx and once I stop typing to do that I loosemy trrain of thought .... Its hard enough writing in French for me to start off with.

What do the Canadians do ?????

Ive never tried a Canadian-FR keyb. It might solve my problems....

But meanwhile qchem's idea seems do-able....

The thing is they need to be in a natural position its no good typing <VOLUP>tre ou pas <VOLUP>tre (assuming my VOLUP is assigned a e^) - <INTERNET>a c'est, la question!

( A little joke in there for any french speakers)

Or how about a regex parser to change :

ahen shqll ae three meet qgqin

into

when shall we three meet agin!

Salut Gowator,

"And you'd think a bit of respect might go a long way in supporting Finnish in Linux"

Couldn't agree more... :D Linus help us! Oh, sorry. His mother tongue is Swedish. Anyway, our noteworthy group of five million speakers is hardly the first group to consider/worry about.

"p.s. Don't wanna upset ya but have you considered using a US keyb ??"

No offence, but nope. We need these scandinavian letters (åäö) all too frequently to manage without a real finnish keyboard. Even my real name has 2xä at the end. Or lets make a sample: "This desk here" in finnish is "Tämä työpöytä tässä". Imagine writing that without the scand keys on keyboard...

"(I can't even imagine what you do with 16 cases )"

Well, you know the prepositions(?) in english (on, in, at, by, out of, into etc.) are basically written into the words. I never mastered them at school, but maybe it is enough to be able to use them. I guess our ancestors didn't have much to do during the cold and dark winters, so for pastime they decided to make speaking just a tad more challenging.

Hashimoto