New to Mandrake : Please help!

Art

I can do without Texstar, not without PLF. The first merely adds to the fun, the second adds the fun.

Actually, I have never used much of Tex, although I know lots of people do/did and like his work.

I couldn't run my machine without libdvdcss, for which I need plf. Same for dvd::rip, although I don't use that as much.

BTW gowator, why do you put it like Mandrake out of the box cannot rip to mp3?????? This is not right, it can. Mixed up with RH??

From the box theres no MP3 encoder only OGG.

Its for 'legal reasons'

(Or it was in 9.1)

To be honest I tended to rely more on PLF but texstar also did the libdvdcss etc. Im going to try and see PLF this afternoon and say a thank you!!!

I havn't used RH since 7.0 :D (what a mess)

I think the problem aRTee is we just take plf and texstar for granted.

You stick em in the urpmi sources and then magically you have mp3 with and urpmi lame (or whatever your preferred encoder is)

I think they are both under-rated considering the fine work they do.....

My appreciation of them is based on the year I had NO INTERNET connection.... and suddenly getting DSL.... :D

All that stuff where Id been hopelessly in dep hell just went away....

You don't know how good they are till you miss em.

IMHO texstar's disenchatment and leaving for other things is seriously underplayed. This leaves us with ONLY PLF and although they do a fine job its uncomfortable having another bunch who could get equally disenchanted!!!

...then you sure didn't look very hard. These extra pkgs are all over the place. Neither plf or texstar are needed, just convenient with urpmi. I can't see how you can have issue with anything so trivial, and that never was to begin with. These people volunteer, that's all. Gone tomorrow? So what, there's another 20 mirrors out there with this stuff. B)

Not really bvc....

The difference of PLF and texstar is everything was in the contribs OR on their mirror....

So all a noobie had to do was install urpmi sources and they could get it all working.

My experience with DVD::RIP was that the deps list is enourmous....

in fact wthout PLF and texstar its not really any advantge to try and find the rpm's you mightest well compile everything from source.

What I found is using PLF and texstar preferentially hardly ever results in a dep problem whereas using a generic RH rpm usually does.

I spent weeks ferrying deps forwards and backwards on floppies when i didn't have internet just trying to install trivial things.

You end up changing half the libraries on your system and the average noobie is likely to get frustrated !!!

As I remember I just wanted a working DVD player... on my laptop...

you try a RPM and then find the deps include an earlier library for Xv or something then you get into finding thoise deps and before you know where you are your lost.

Since I could only incrementally find deps 1 iteration per day (get home, stick in floppy and try ) it took weeks!!!

In the end I downloaded ALL plf and ALL contribs and had the Unix sysad write them on CD (since I didn't have one)

bah...noobie-frustrated/deps/urpmi/mirrors/dialup.....learn to deal with it, use another distro, or go back to windows.I was dialup not too long ago. I was ML8.1 as a noobie doing most rpm'ing from cli. Noobies can bite the bullet and learn lin, or go back to win til lin gets its act together. ;)

Welcome to linux!

Basically, PLF helps to get dvd playback and ripping to work, 9.1 does playback mp3 without any problem, I know since I installed that for my wife and I'm too lazy to install 9.2 on that machine, will skip to 10.0 anyway, and her machine plays mp3s fine, whereas I never even set up urpmi or installed anything special (beyond java and other web stuff).

Without PLF for newbies Mandrake would be more difficult, but without Texstar, I don't think people are missing all that much.

Tex actually hasn't done any 9.2 rpms has he?

What he did was create the things that Mandrake would like people on the club to ask for and give to clubmembers first, and besides, that was stuff that 'power' users would ask for.

Really, any newbie on linux who just wants to get away from windows and have a working machine should not try to upgrade from 2.4.23 to 2.6.2 kernel, or from kde 3.1 to 3.2. They should be patient and wait a couple of weeks/months until the new versions are out in a distro.

Well, they should do whatever they like, but most people (in contrast to linux power users) just want to use their pc, not tweak it.

So the added benefit of Tex is really not so big if you look at the grand scheme. Again, PLF adds functionality that is really hard to come by if you don't really know linux.

So, to paraphrase the last part of what bvc says above:

Noobies can bite the bullet and learn to tweak lin, or sometimes be a bit less up to date on latest releases and just use the latest stable full distro release.

Going back to win, now that's not an option. :D

Enjoy Linux!

Edited by aRTee

bah...noobie-frustrated/deps/urpmi/mirrors/dialup.....learn to deal with it, use another distro, or go back to windows.I was dialup not too long ago. I was ML8.1 as a noobie doing most rpm'ing from cli. Noobies can bite the bullet and learn lin, or go back to win til lin gets its act together. ;)

Welcome to linux!

Hmm thats really what worries me!!!

Many noobies try it and don't get the functionality and don't persist.

I know they should but many of them are expecting windowland stuff and leave dissapointed never to return. Some of these though not all might have stuck around and then got interested enough to twiddle around.

Tex actually hasn't done any 9.2 rpms has he?

Well I don't know, I installed 9.2 and had a problem with nvnet!

I had the older RPM on disk but different kernel and problems ...

So I decided to go online to try and find the driver...

Being in the catch-22 and without much hope I thought Id try a knoppix CD I had lying around with a mag.

Ooops, it autodetected the nvnet, brought it up and found the DHCP and .....

Well somehow the 9.2 install just got overwritten......

I had better things to do at the time that play about fixing mandrake when I had a perfectly functioning install of Debian so I kinda got distracted and still havn't got round to installing it.

I was in a rush and distracted at the time.... but this is just what many noobies will do. Their are 1001 distro's to choose from and always the back to windows option.

what exactly is a 9.2 rpm? :huh: If you mean, does he have a folder called 9.2, no. Did he compile w/ gcc3.2? no. Do many of his latest work on 9.2, yes ;) ...no such thing as a distro version rpm....there's just folders, like a mount point.

Gowator, worry all you want dude. Linux is, what is is, and we can not change that....we are not devel. Community_shunity mandrake devel listens to no one, despite their Club crap. Take what they dish out and make it work. I'm tired of people crying over release quality. Like you said, there's a ton of distros, and win, if you don't like ML.

aRTee, I think that's one of Gowater's points. You can't just install a release and have everything work. To hell with dvd/lib/encryption laws.

Well, you know what I think about people switching, in case you forgot, read my article (I'm sure you remember).

I agree with bvc, for most, linux is the option and mswin is the standard.

My point: switching back is not an option. Switching is, and if you determine that you can, you can.

The problem is, too many people are trying to get those who are not ready to switch to linux. This is not helping, but just wasting time.

One of the biggest problems with linux is that you cannot ask just anyone who fiddles with computers to help you out, as is the case with windows.

This makes things quite difficult, especially for people who have problems connecting to the net,...

Everybody who is really motivated and has no hardware problems can switch to linux today (even yesterday or the day before). Sure, they may not be able to use the same programs esp. games. Enough motivation helps one get over that... ;)