gui ftp client

mdemers883

I've used the cli ftp client via terminal before and used it successfully, but I'm still not 100% comfortable with it yet so I would like to use a gui based one for a bit till I'm comfortable. I'm currently running SuSE 9.0, what would you guys recommend for an easy to use ftp client? Thanks for any help.

Mark

Ok, I downloaded gFTP (tar) and extracted it. Inside the folder it made I did:

./configure

make

make install

everything seemed to go just fine, but now how do I launch it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Here is the list of files in that dir:

linux:/home/luser/gftp-2.0.16 # ls
.              config.guess   COPYING       Makefile       src
..             config.h       debian        Makefile.am    stamp-h
ABOUT-NLS      config.h.in    docs          Makefile.in    stamp-h.in
acinclude.m4   config.log     gftp.spec     missing        THANKS
aclocal.m4     config.rpath   gftp.spec.in  mkinstalldirs  TODO
AUTHORS        config.status  INSTALL       NEWS
ChangeLog      config.sub     install-sh    po
ChangeLog-old  configure      intl          README
config.cache   configure.in   lib           README.html

What you think?

Mark

why not an rpm? ..from the cd's?....through YaST? ...or even a suse9 mirror? They work!

:lol: I'm still getting used to how things work. I'm slowly but surely finding out that I can find almost anything I need via yast :D I suppose I could do rpm's, I have more experience with tar's so that's why I went that route. Do you feel that a rpm would've been a better choice, if so why? If it is a better/easier way to go I'll definately start using rpm's when possible. As far as disc's go, I installed suse via FTP so I have the ftp boot disc, the only other suse disc I have besides that is the SuSE 9.0 Live CD. Could I use one of those? thanks for any help.

Mark

I have never managed to get a tar.gz to work...haha...I think I figured it out though on my last attempt...but the prog was messed up :-S

RPMs are sooo much easier :-P

as for the ftp thing...I use gftp too...

my ftp server says it doesn't work with all ftp progs and stuff...only gives 4 that'll work...I emailed them about linux...they simply sent back 'We do not support Linux.' ...but by that time I figured it out...I use web1000.com, and though ftp.web1000.com (which ur supposed to type) doesn't work, I found a thing in the FAQ saying that if it ran slow, try ftp1.web1000.com - ftp9.web1000.com ...so I tried one of those and I've had no probs since...

yeah, rpm's are much easier. You're also on an rpm-based distro and things are diff. Usually not a prob but rpm's made for you distro will include stuff for the distro like menu entries and knowlegde that the app/version is even installed so not to mess up stuff. If you have to do a tarball check out checkinstall. It'll make and install a rpm from a tarball eliminating these probs and making it easy to remove.

To put it simply, if you try a pkg on a suse cd and it works, great...it's easier, if not, try a suse mirror. Dependencies for gftp shouldn't be too bad. If you have the temporary hd space or want ot try to go straight to a cd, consider wget. It's a terminal downloader.

wget -r <url>

will get every, I mean recurse through directories and get everything at that url.

wget -r --level=2 <url>

will only download that current directory and recurse to one other.

SEE: wget --help or man wget

Then you'll have everything available for the distro version on cd :D Just a thought.