Samba Wizard not persisting config

phunni

Does the Samaba Wizard in DrakConf write to /etc/samba/smb.conf? I have run through the wizard a couple of times and it has set up my server perfectly, but, as soon as I restart the computer - I lose it all. How can I persist the results of the wizard accross restarts?

The last samba server i setup was a 8.1 box a year or so ago.

I did it through the config files not a wizard.

It's been running sweet ever since, so i have no idea how the 9.0 wizard behaves.

Plus i can barely remember how i did it, thats the problem with linux, you do something once and it's usually done, whereas with windows you have to reinstall often so you remember what you did :P .

I guess you could check out the etc/samba/samba.conf file before you run the wizard.

maybe do a backup, run the wizard and see if it is changed.

The wizard should definately be writing to this file, it's where the smb daemon gets it's settings from.

You could try setting up samba using webmin https://localhost:10000 if it's installed and running.

Sorry for the lack of answers, but i don't have any, will probably know when i upgrade my works file server late december but that won't help you now im afraid.

I do have webmin installed and I'll take a look at it too see if it'll be easy to achieve the results I need. The only reason I've been at all bothered about the wizard is simply that, for the first time, I've easily got the results I've wanted. Any attempt to use SWAT or directly edit smb.conf has resulted in imperfect results - useable, but not brilliant

I do have webmin installed and I'll take a look at it too see if it'll be easy to achieve the results I need.  The only reason I've been at all bothered about the wizard is simply that, for the first time, I've easily got the results I've wanted.  Any attempt to use SWAT or directly edit smb.conf has resulted in imperfect results - useable, but not brilliant

I would avoid SWAT as it removes all the info in the config file(all the example parameters, which can be usefull later) but Webmin doesn't.

I have compared by backed up smb.conf ( the one I edited manually) and the one in /etc/samba and they are totally different, which leads me to believe that the one in use is written by the wizard. Now, however, I am confused - if the file in /etc/samba/ is written by the wizard - why do I lose the results of it when I restart my computer? Samba seems to be running. If I simply restart samba - it works. Why isn't samba starting properly when I restart my computer?

I have compared by backed up smb.conf ( the one I edited manually) and the one in /etc/samba and they are totally different, which leads me  to believe that the one in use is written by the wizard.  Now, however, I am confused - if the file in /etc/samba/ is written by the wizard - why do I lose the results of it when I restart my computer?  Samba seems to be running.  If I simply restart samba - it works.  Why isn't samba starting properly when I restart my computer?

Oh do you mean that samba isn't running when you restart as in the service is not being started at startup?

if so aaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

if not hmm.

do this:

restart

is samba working?

if not open mandrake control center -> system -> services

look down the list till you find "smb"

if it says "stopped" click the start button

Test samba is it working? correctly?

if so tick the "on boot" option.

If it said the service is running but you still couldn't use samba they PANIC!! cause i can't help you, maybe someone else can.