old sound driver blacklisted???

Guest IanthePez

Guest IanthePez

I just ran the mandrake update took for the first time as shown to me on a wonderful tutorial site. I'm glad it's updated but now I have a minor problem. no sound! I ran draksound and chose the driver listed and it said:

"The old cs46xx driver is blacklisted.

It has been reported to oopses the kernel on unloading.

The new "snd-cs46xx" driver'll only be used on next bootstrap"

What is a bootstrap? I'm a bit new, so I don't know what to do here. I downloaded the new driver but i'm not sure how to make in a new module and select it. Can someone help me out here?

Also, if I run sndconfig, it finds my card correctly but then says that it's not currently supported. Well, it worked before so it must work somehow.

Guest IanthePez

Well, unfortunately I had already tried restarting. I was hoping there was something I'd missed.

When I restart and tried to play something in xmms, it says there is no audio output or it's configured wrong, etc. If I then run draksound and select the one listed, I can hit play in xmms and I see the wave pattern, but no output. If I then restart, i'm back where I started.

I really need some help on this one.

Guest IanthePez

Well, I checked the mixer and other various settings and it still wouldn't work, although it was turned down to 0. I then unloaded it, and reloaded and now all works fine. thanks.