Is it possible to sync directories over a network?

phunni

If I have two linux machines - one a desktop and one a laptop - is it possible to synchronise one or more directories on these machines when they are connected via a network?

For example, if I 'm working on something on my desktop and I decide to go and work in another room using my laptop, I could transfer the files I'm working on via the network. Is there an easy way to then sync those files when I return the laptop to the network so that my desktop files are automatically updated?

Using rsync the only thing you have to take care is to be SURE that both PCs have the same date (I know what I'm talking about). I'm used to rsync files between several computers, ie, when I close evolution, it (not exactly it, but you can make an idea) automatically rsyncs it's "agenda" or calendar or however you call it, with all the PCs in my LAN so I have that "agenda" updated every time, then I can consult what has to be done whereever in my LAN with a python script, no need to have even a GUI... but that's another history... sorry... I'm bored... and I'm getting old... and I talk too much....