Processor temperature suddenly jumped

Steve Scrimpshire

I'm using athcool on the hardware listed in my signature and have not had a problem since I built this system about 6 months ago. I hadn't used my desktop in a few days, when I looked at the screen and noticed that gkrellm was reporting the processor temp at 59C, when it usually runs around 45C idle like this and around 50ish under moderate load. I watched as my temp hovered between 59-66C. The only thing going on was me downloading stuff from the internet on my laptop through the crossover cable connected to my desktop, which is the box directly connected to the internet.

I did ps ax and saw nothing out of the ordinary. My CPU fan was still runing at normal speed.

I rebooted the box and checked the BIOS and, sure enough, the CPU temp was actually hovering in that range. After the reboot, all is well now. What could cause this? A memory leak?

Edit: The box's uptime was around 12 days.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Maybe one of the other fans went down temporarily (case fans or PSU fans). The reset might have got it running again. One fan less would definitely cause a jump like that, even though, as Michel said, 59C is not particularly high.

My XP1800 runs at about 56C at idle and runs up to 60+ at load with room temp at around 20C

sheesh! ya'll need some fans or something. My 1900 idles at 35 to 40 and 50 - 55 while game playing. I'm in Texas! 40 is the idle temp during the summer. I have and intake fan in the front, exthaust fan in the back, the 350w psu is a dual fan/multispeed/switch, stock heatsink and fan, and fan on the chipset. Nothing fancy.

One thing I do remember reading somewhere is, the temps reported are not very accurate. And can vary a great deal from actual real life temps. I have a temp probe that I've been meaning to test my accuracy. I had heard of 10 degrees difference +/- possible. If you can test your real temps, you can adjust the software to report more accurately.

This is just a thought, and a possible reason for everyones BIG difference in reported temps.

Tech

65 degC is nothing special.

AMD specs say that unless the die temp goes above 80 or 85, don't worry.

Are you using the pci commands that drop the temp on AMD cpu's?

It may be that at some point they get set back to normal/initial values, which could explain the behaviour.

On my old P200 I had a problem with DMA on my hds, I could switch it on, and about a day later they would be switched off again..

On the accuracy of the temps: the BIOS can be more or less accurate, bios updates sometimes give quite different temps, but between the bios value and the lm-sensors value there should not be such a big gap.