Diablo II & WineX

crock

When running the WineX Game Manager, I try to install Diablo II, set the game directory to /usr/local/games and then select /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe as the executable to be run, then I hit INSTALL, but NOTHING ever happens. I've tried waiting as long as an hour, but nothing ever occurs, no cdrom activity, nothing. I've tried the other discs as well, just in case it was the wrong executable, but nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, I just used regular Wine to install Diablo II, and everything went smoothly. I've encountered a problem when I try to play it though, it seems it won't detect my expansion CD in my cdrom. I can't figure it out... :unsure: Any ideas?

I installed this game and the expansion using WineX with no problems whatsoever.

One question: Do you have supermount enabled? I've had some problems in the past when supermount was on that were cured by disabling it.

Also, the first time I installed the game it immediately asked me for disk 2. I was using KDE and slicker at the time and my slicker konsole was covering the message to change disks.

I'm not sure what supermount is, let alone if its enabled. :P

If you haven't done anything to your mount points, chances are it's enabled still. Open up a console and su to root. From there type

supermount -i disable

From then on, you will have to type mount /mnt/cdrom to mount the cd, and umount /mnt/cdrom to unmount/eject the cd.

Try disabling supermount, then installing the game again. I'd be willing to bet that's your problem.

Point2Play is the best way to install, because often with just WineX, you either (a) have another window covering the 'Change disk' alert window (As LZ pointed out) or (b) you made the mistake of cd-ing to the /mnt/cdrom directory to start the install, which is a mistake, because then it won't let you unmount the disk to change the disks when you need to.

As for the LoD expansion set, in order to install it, you have to give it the same name and install it to the same location as the regular Diablo install.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire