Installation problem

ttellefsen

Man..this thing really has me wigged :furious3: I have looked in the services and noticed that APIC APMD ACPI are all loaded. I cannot start them. From the previous posts I have done, I still cannot turn it on. It works in XP (dual boot). It used to work in MDL about 4 installations ago.

The only thing I can think of is that it did not compile in the kernel for some reason.

Being fairly new....should I attempt the next kernel up to see if that resolves my Issue? Any pointers?

I don't want to reinstall again. I believe I am gaining valuable knowledge through this process and would like to continue on.

I would love to see this OS remove Microshaft from running!! :twisted:

sure. try the new kernel. the default had some acpi issues from what i've heard, but I'm sure there is even now, lol.

acpi has to be started at boot. i d/k about apm. you could also try

acpi=ht

in the bootloader whicj bacically tells the kernel just to use acpi to boot, then stop.

Okay...Looks like it is not Linux, see code below

Jan 27 17:16:44 localhost kernel: apm: BIOS not found.

I confirmed on my AMI BIOS screen during boot it shows Power Management: Disabled.

Now.. I have look through my BIOS and have changed about everything with no affect.

Question: Why does the system shut down in XP and not Linux when BIOS is in same state?

I don't expect any one to answer that...

Post closed...Thanks for the help and thought processes :headbang:

The issue is that when I shutdown the machine, the machine does not self power off. I apologize if I wasn't clear in the previous posts.

I have to manually hit the power but once I hear the hard drive park. What I would like it to do is; once I hit "shutdown the computer", I can walk away knowing I am done and not have to wait for the little "ching" from the hard drive to know when its done doing its thing.

The observations I have made through this ordeal just don't make sense to me.

The machine did shut down in a past installation.(MDL9.2)

The BIOS says Power management disabled. cannot enable.

When I boot to XP and shut down, it does.

I am pretty stubborn with things like this in computers. I cannot let it go. I hate when something does not work exactly as advertised and get obsessed with finding the answer so people who come after will not suffer the same fate.

I notice on the postings, that a lot of users have the same symptoms, however, the solution is rarely the same in each instance.

I curious to know why that is and come up with a common fix one way or another.

Anyway...enough of my rant. Any and all help would be appreciated.