Just compiled kernel 2.6.1!

Yay, I have big, ugly, hairy questions for the board again! :cheesy:

I just compiled kernel 2.6.1 from development sources, using genkernel (but with the proper setup, make menuconfig and all). Everything is working great, it fixed my DMA problem and my sound is now working, but I have a few problems/questions:

Firstly, I cannot get the nvidia-kernel to compile for 2.6.1. Everytime I emerge it, it compiles for my old kernel only (2.4.20) I changed the symlink /usr/src/linux to point at my new kernel, but it doesn't help. So I am forced to use the 'nv' driver (no hardware rendering) until we sort this out. How do I emerge nvidia-kernel for 2.6.1?

Next up, when booting the 2.6.1 kernel, I get this message:

Root block device unspecified or not detected.
Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell
:_

Now, if I specify /dev/hda3 at the prompt, it bums out (but this is my root partition, as specified in /etc/lilo.conf) and the only partition it will accept is /dev/hda1 (which is my boot partition)? :wall:

Here is my lilo.conf file:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
menu-scheme=Wb
prompt
timeout=100
vga=792
lba32
default=Linux_2.6.1

image =/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
       root = /dev/hda3
       label = Gentoo_Linux
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
      append="root=/dev/hda3 init=/linuxrc"

image =/boot/kernel-2.6.1-rc1
       label=Linux_2.6.1
       root=/dev/hda3
       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.1-rc1
       append="root=/dev/hda3 init=/linuxrc"

And yes, I did run lilo after editing it each time and I had /dev/hda1 mounted to /boot. So what gives?

And then, one of the errors I get on startup that I don't understand:

Starting devfsd
Error setting event mask                          device or resource busy

Oh great, just noticed this; for some reason un-known I am now getting this error when trying to run lilo: Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Input/output error

Great. I feel like a n00b :tm: again :cheesy:

I have not used Gentoo in a while so I just throw some stuff at ya and maybe it will ring a bell.

Scan the NVIDIA forum for problems or maybe an older driver?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdispl...p?s=&forumid=14

Check out the Minion

http://www.minion.de/

Scan the Gentoo forum :o

http://forums.gentoo.org/

May be stupid but:

what about moving every source but the 2.6 out of /usr/src then try emerge nvidia-kernel. Just make sure you put the others sources back after your done.

This may even give you an error you can work with.

This page has something about a /sys and sysfs in fstab

http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

Sorry not much help here...

cybrjackle has a post with a link to a patched nvidia installer for the 2.6. Works in gentoo and mandrake for me.

emerge --unmerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel

opengl-update xfree (?been a while?...and if you've even done that)

then use the patched installer.

When I ran gentoo, I used the Nvidia installer. Worked fine. Which driver won't compile? The latest release compiled fine on Mandrake's 2.6.0 kernel.

if you follow the links you'll see it's an ebuild issue for the 2.4 kernel which is not what we're concerned about. SoulSe needs nvidia for the 2.6 which have to be patched. Yours works w/glx? You're the only one. Someone has released an nvidia installer with the patch appied :headbang:

Ok, I got the nvidia module compiled by changing my symlink /usr/src/linux to point at /usr/src/linux-2.6.1-rc1

I had tried that before, but I pointed it at the wrong place, which is my bad...

Emerge reads your kernel version from this symlink, so it is trey_important!

Ok, that is sorted, and I am beginning to understand the root partition problem... thanks to iphitus.

Now, the biggest problem for me: no sound! I have the following chipset:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)

There is a module for that in the kernel, which I compiled in under ALSA as well as the oss modules. Now, if I open up xmms, it plays and everything seems fine, but no sound!

Opened up volume control in Gnome, nothing is muted and all the volumes are up. Opened up cd player in gnome, cd plays - but no sounds (it should be passing through)?

The chip is on-board and set to 'auto' in the Bios (only other option is 'disable').

As you can imagine, sound is like, the most important thing to me! :unsure:

Edited by SoulSe

There is a module for that in the kernel, which I compiled in under ALSA as well as the oss modules.

into the kernel as in [*] ?

compile the kernel with all sound as [M]. I take out oss completely. I have the same onboard

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

and it worked in gentoo with kernel-2.6.0.

Compiled in as in [*]

Anyway, I emerged the alsa-utils and ran alsamixer, which revealed a few volume controls that were missing from volume-control in Gnome. One of them was 'surround' and if I unmute this, my sound works!

Now, if I play anything in XMMS, it goes all distorted in places and speeds up the song for a few seconds and then slows it down again. WTF is up with that? I know plati has the same board as well and has the same problem...

That happen to you bvc?

Edited by SoulSe

Sorta. The only way I could get decent sound was to only use

Master (2/3 up)

PCM (2/3 up)

VIA DXS (all the way up)

VIA DXS1 (all the way up)

VIA DXS2 (all the way up)

VIA DXS3 (all the way up)

all others off or down all the way.

Also couldn't do squat in xmms as far as plugins go or sound went bad. half the time the eq in xmms did nothing.

I also put

echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq

default was 64 :-/

in a local rc startup script. I don't remember which one. Poor sound was one of the reasons I dumped gentoo. Shouldn't have to do a weeks work to get decent sound. Also, running kernel mm1-sources was an absolute necessity. I couldn't get portage to get mm2 for some reason, and by now mm3 or 4 is probably out.

Edited by bvc

Well, the sound only seems to be poor in xmms, everything else seems fine...

What distro are you using now? ALSA is pretty standard stuff so I can't imagine huge changes in a chipsets' performance from distro to distro?

Anyway, I am happy to say that I have sorted out EVERYTHING with my 2.6.1 kernel now (vanilla, not mm, just straight) most of my problems came from the fact that I disabled support for immature code in the kernel, so I was missing some very important modules which weren't completely stable (like /dev filesystem support)! Stupid, stupid SoulSe :blush:

Everything is fine now, 'cept the xmms problem ;)

What distro are you using now? ALSA is pretty standard stuff so I can't imagine huge changes in a chipsets' performance from distro to distro?

ML-10-cooker and installing fedora as I write this.

Sound is definately diff per distro. Lots to consider. DE optimizations in X, rc scripts, kernels and how the distro deals with it. Distro have their own asla tools etc... and many more reasons prob.

Sound good....

Mandrake

Debian

Slackware

Libranet

LFS

Sound stinks..

SuSE9pro

Gentoo

Can't really say anything about RH9 and Fedora because I never tried alsa in them and oss doesn't count :P ....though 2 years ago, I said the opposite...that alsa sucked.

Sound has always been best in Mandrake :cheesy:

Edited by bvc