Just compiled kernel 2.6.1!

Guest Adriano

I have been trying to 2.6ify my machine... I tried the RPM from Cooker, and then the 2.6.1 sources (with the -mm4 patch). In every case the result is the same: the machine hangs at boot.

In the RPM case (2.6.0) it says "Kernel Panic: tried to kill init") after some other errors (I can't print them, to transcribe them I'd have to write them by hand...).

Using the sources, the machine hangs almost immediately _after_ LILO... I cannot see much about the error. The compile was clean.

Any help or pointers?

I have been trying to 2.6ify my machine... I tried the RPM from Cooker, and then the 2.6.1 sources (with the -mm4 patch). In every case the result is the same: the machine hangs at boot.

In the RPM case (2.6.0) it says "Kernel Panic: tried to kill init") after some other errors (I can't print them, to transcribe them I'd have to write them by hand...).

Using the sources, the machine hangs almost immediately _after_ LILO... I cannot see much about the error. The compile was clean.

Any help or pointers?

init problems are always sticky... I fixed mine by increasing the size of my initial RAM drive... I'm not sure about your problem though, but maybe it gets you going in the right direction...

Some distros have specific settings that HAVE TO be compiled into the kernel, these are usually to do with ram drives. I'm not sure what mandrake's is, I've only ever compiled one kernel for Mandy and it didn't turn out to well.