Mdk9.1, XP & Slackware 9.1 - lilo entries?

Guest johnKFT

Guest johnKFT

I just made a new partition on my dual boot Mdk9.1 and Windows XP and installed Slackware 9.1, successfully. I configured no lilo for Slackware and currently boot it from a freshly made boot floppy - no problem, if a bit slow. I would like to put it in my current boot menu, which is lilo on Mandrake, installed in the MBR, but cannot figure out what entries to put in /etc/lilo.conf. Mdk has image = /boot/vm/linuz and initrd = /boot/initrd.img. There is no initrd.img in my Slackware /boot and if i use just the image = /boot/vmlinuz it fires up nicely but then bottles out after a while with a kernel panic saying it cannot find INIT. Can anyone help me please. I am sure this is simple if I know how.

Guest johnKFT

It was very simple! I searched for init and found a post by bvc on exactly this situation. Careful reading of it made me realise that I had put /boot/vmlinuz for the Slackware image assuming that the root of /dev/hda9 would tell the machine that this actually referred to the Slackware /boot folder (not the Mandrake one) which is at /mnt/sk. I changed the entry to /mnt/sk/boot/vmlinuz and hey presto it worked. I must have been trying to boot with the Mandrake kernel. Dear oh dear. Still, a good lesson learnt and no harm done. Thanks bvc.

• 1 month later...
It was very simple!  I searched for init and found a post by bvc on exactly this situation.  Careful reading of it made me realise that I had put /boot/vmlinuz for the Slackware image assuming that the root of /dev/hda9 would tell the machine that this actually referred to the Slackware /boot folder (not the Mandrake one) which is at /mnt/sk.  I changed the entry to /mnt/sk/boot/vmlinuz and hey presto it worked.  I must have been trying to boot with the Mandrake kernel.  Dear oh dear.  Still, a good lesson learnt and no harm done.  Thanks bvc.

johnKFT

I searched for init and found a post by bvc on exactly this situation.

I have searched "init" no luck for me. Perhaps someone could post a link to

bvc's post.

There is an alternative, in that you can copy the kernel files needed for boot into the primary os /boot, and make sure that "root=/dev/*" lists the correct root directory.