nforce2 and 9.2

crock

I've tried to get the source rpm from the nvidia website to work with my Abit NF7-S motherboard, but its not working.

When I run this:

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm

I get this error:

/usr/lib/rpm/rpmb directory does not exist

So, I use mkdir, and create this directory. When I try to repeat the above, I recieve

/usr/lib/rpm/rpmb Permission Denied

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I've tried it as root and as my login with 'su'

Well I tried using both rpm-build (installed it) and the tar file, but both reported errors. With rebuilding the rpm, I still get Permission Denied, and with the tar file, it reports a level1 error on 'make' and a level2 error on 'make install'

Anyone have some real step-by-step instructions on how to successfully install nforce2 drivers in 9.2?

BTW, thanks for the great suggestions!!! :D

You cannot create the directories used for making stuff. They must be created by the programs used for the purpose.

Be sure that your kernel sources are installed. There will be lots of stuff in /usr/src/linux if they are installed. If those directories do not exist, install the kernel sources. It will be kernel-sources-2.2.xx.xx.mfkk.rpm, or something. Match the sources to your kernel.

Use "rpmbuild -rebuild xxx.xxxx.rpm"

Remember that, while you can build as a regular user, you must be root to do installing.

After rpmbuild is done, your new rpm willl be in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586. So, you can "urpmi /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/*.rpm".

You should be doing all of this from the command line, and I would be outside of x, just for kicks.

Where would I check to see if I have the kernel sources installed? rpmdrake?

I checked there and it didn't say anything about kernel-sources or anything of the like. I ran the rebuild, and everything was fine until it got to the nvnet part of the rpm, where it error'd out and said to make sure my kernel sources are installed. There are only a few folders in my /usr/src directory. Hmmmm...

The default Mandrake install does not install kernel sources. You have to get them and install them. Be sure to match the sources with your kernel. For example, kernel-2.6.0-1mdk.rpm needs to have kernel-source-2.6.0-1mdk.rpm.

You cannot make anything on your computer without having the sources installed.

:D :D

Ixthusdan, you've been a WEALTH of help. I simply installed the kernel-source and ran rpmbuild, restarted, and used the control center to configure my internet connection.

I CANNOT thank you enough for your patience and help!

I'm writing this message from my Mandrake 9.2 machine as we speak! :D