KDE Panel Configuration

mandrake_alf

I don't know what I did :oops: , but some how the 'Appearance' settings are no longer available for my KDE panel. I was going to change the BG to an image to sorta match my desktop background and noticed it was gone... I've been doing some mdk updates and some of them were KDE related. Do you suppose that could have anything to do with it? But MOST of all, is there a way to 'reinstall' the KDE Control Module? I'd gladly settle for just that if it would solve this problem.

TIA

don't know if this will sovle your problem, & i didn't even know this was possible (gotta try this when i get home tonight) but i found this tidbit concerning Kontrol Center while Googling:

You can create your own customized "control center"

You, distributions and everyone else are free to create as many option tweaking tools or levels as they like, you don't even need to be able to program to be able to offer customized solutions, just use kcmshell and add the components you want. If you don't know what components are available search for kcm_* in KDE's library folder or use 'kcmshell --list'.

from reading that, it looks like you can add/remove entries from the Kontrol Center & customize it to your own liking. in lieu of a better solution, it might be worth a shot? :juggle:

Chris

I know nothing about kde devel or kde for that matter. Just started using it (kde-3.2beta). Seems to me they're splitting things in the appearances mod into other places or doing away with it entirly? I don't have it and yes I'm ML-10. Other users with 9.2 don't have it either. I have yet to find where to change the color of the desktop icon font. Weird. I feel like I'm in gnome w/ nautilus drawing the desktop, lol.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...topic=10672&hl=

If you just need to change the background, rt-click the desktop or run

kcmshell background

Well.. I'm actually tryng to change the BG of the panel to get rid of that ugly gray so it will match my Desktop background better.. Let's face it, it's not a biggie.. (not like my damn evolution problem I'm gona post later) but the silly thing WAS there and NOW it's not.. really annoying... I'm beginning to relate to the guys in my linux sig that I goto that say 'Mandrake BREAKS things every time they upgrade'... I say this because I REALLY feel this problem stems from some of the 'OFFICIAL' mdk KDE upgrades I installed... I'll be glad when Debian gets their RHL installer working so I can make the switch... I've loved MDK for a long time and I'd still recommend it to most new users but sometimes it can be a REAL PAIN :angry:

• 2 months later...

OK, I just want to ask is this possible in KDE 3.2:

If you use picture as a "panel background" it's shown for example in "start"-button's and "show desktop"-button's background. But I would like to see instead of series of same picture in my main panel a one, large picture. Now my panel's "background girl" is so small, that it's no good. In this case amount doesn't replace quality :cry::furious3: . So, any ideas are highly appreciated...should I contact KDE development team or can KDE be somehow (and easily) tweaked?

Whenever I have Icons disappear off the Panel (Such as MCC and KCE) after having done some RPM installs, I have found that Opening up Mandrake Control Centre --> Systems --> Menus (MenuDrake) and selecting Root Menu then FILE aand click on Restore System Menu . When it has finished doing its Zig-Zag thing then click on Save.

Now I don't know why a Menu thing should fix a Panel thing, I just know that it does.

Cheers

BVC, hello.

This is for you and your question of changing the colour of the Desktop Icon fonts in Mandrake10.

Head for Look and Feel then Backgrounds.

There you will see a new ADVANCED Options Button. and there you will see what you want.

If you click on the two "Use sol.......... text" and also "Enable Shadow" you can get some nice combinations of font colour and font shadow colour.

Hope its of use. Cheers