Noob Hardware Questions

Arkas

I've been using Red Hat for some time so i am a new user in Mandrake (although many users say that these 2 distros are very similar). I decided to convert after the whole Fedora thing and the lack of multimedia playback in Red Hat. I have a couple of questions that i would like to get an answer before i continue with the installation of Mandrake 9.2 Download Edition.

First i would like to know if the support for Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem (green) got any better. I know that in Mandrake 9.1 the modem was detected correctly but still needed a bit of tuning. Can i now use an app to connect to the internet (if i don't set in up for boot) such as pppd or do i have to use scripts again? Also is there an app to view the connection status (like the modem lights in WinXP).

Another issue i would like to solve before moving on is that of my scanner. I rest assured that because of the strong brand name and the big circulation of the model of the scanner there would surely be support for it. (HP Scanjet 2400c). This morning when i decided to do a little search in Sane's Support Database i found that HP Scanjet 2400c is not supported. Is there any other program that i can use that supports my scanner or do i have to wait until someone that faces the same problem as me (and has the knowledge of hardware and drivers) write a driver for it?

Finally are the official NVidia drivers included in this distribution or do i have to download them and edit the necessary files like i use to do in Red Hat 9? My video card is Asus V7700 based on NVidia's GeForce2 MX 32MB.

I would appreciate any answer you give me. Thanks in advance and i would like to say sorry if my questions seem stupid to you because you've been asked a thousand times for the same thing but like i said i am a very new user in Mandrake 9.2 and the whole Linux thing so bare with me.

NVIDIA

You actually get a working but not optinmal driver in Mandy BUT the accelerated one from NVIDIA is easily installable.

If you boot into NON GRAPHICAL mode (Run Level 3) and run the package it sets up everything execpt one line in the XF86config file.

SCANNER

I haven't seen the 2100c. I have a HP 6P which has always worked since MDK 8.1. Its a SCSI scanner, not a newer USB but wait for the feedback if someone has the same model.

You can use the connection wizard in the Mandrake Control Centre. This comes with a connection app which also shows status but its easier to just add shortcuts to the scripts in on your desktop. These are pretty straightforwards anyway.

Finally

Lots of extras are available in Mandrake, for instance if you use KDE you can use the KDE networking stuff to connect/disconnect etc. Its really a matter of finding your preferred CHOICE. :D

Well, the green Alcatel USB adsl modem is still problematic from what I remember, even in 9.2. Do some searching on this board and you'll probably find posts for it. I know in 9.1, if you ever run the connection wizard, it messes everything up as far as configuration for the Alcatel, at least it did in 9.1. I could be wrong about all of this though, for 9.2.

Also, with 9.2, both the installs I have done have given me no video, even with MDK's non-accelerated NVidia driver, so it is best to choose not to start X at boot until you get the drivers from NVidia, in my opinion.

Also, with 9.2, both the installs I have done have given me no video, even with MDK's non-accelerated NVidia driver, so it is best to choose not to start X at boot until you get the drivers from NVidia, in my opinion.

I have the same problem with my nvidia card: no video. I've done some research on this one and found out that the problem isn't with Mandrake but with the nv driver from XFree. The problem is that, sometime, nv driver wrongly recognize a CRT monitor as an LCD and results in no video. In facts, it's not a bug in the nv driver but in the monitor that report itself as a flat panel...

To use the "nv" driver, I had to add the line:

Option "FlatPanel" "0"

in the XFreeConfig-4 file.

For more details on this, you can look at bug report #523 on XFree Bugzilla

There's also other similar reports. Hops this may help you find out what's going wrong with your video.