Precompiled kernels

Perdido

Well.. let's see.. Here are some explanations

From the regular powerpack/download editions

1. kernel-2.4.blahblahblahmdk.. regular mandrake kernel, for single cpu and memory less than 1 gb

2. kernel-smp for multiple cpus and memory less than 1 gb

3. kernel-enterprise for memory greater than 1 gb. Single or multiple cpu is ok

4. kernel22 is kernel version 2.2. something instead of 2.4 like regular mandrake kernel. It already includes mandrake's patches

5. kernel22-smp is #4 for multiple cpus

6. kernel-i686-up-to-4gb... for multiple cpus with up to 4 gb of memory, compiled for P2 optimization (i686) instead of regular pentium optimization (i586) like in regular mandrake kernel

7. kernel-linus2.2.blahblahblah... plain vanilla 2.2 kernel, without mandrake patches

8. kernel2.4.marcello... plain vanilla kernel 2.4, without madnrake's patches

9. kernel-secure-2.4 is designed for servers. It enables grsecurity stuffs.

10. kernel-source.. The source kernel for whatever version it is.

From contrib and mandrakeclub

1. Kernel-multimedia add preemptive patches.. supposed to make your system faster.

2. kernel-tmb is a kernel created by Thomas Backlund, a mandrake contributor. The most obvious thing I know about this kernel is it adds support for cloop, which add compression for livecds such as mandrakemove or pclinuxos.

3. kernel-win4lin.. Add win4lin support

Anyway, I think the explanation can be seen in rpmdrake. If you use regular hdlist.cz for your urpmi database, you can read the explanation there. There may be other kernels out there, but these are practically the most popular/useful.

Nice link.

In the past I tried using the MDK sources of some kernels (specifically and mostly enterprise)

It appears that the kernel from this source isn't the same as the kernel you get from RPM's. The first obvious difference is the Extraversion tag in the makefile which tags custom to this.

Its annoying becuase I would be happy with a stable kernel but with the 4GB himem, when I compile my own vanilla with himem using the jkernel source rpms and the .config #I end up getting symbol not found errors with the nforce drivers.

Any ideas.... please

I am NOT sure about the one GB line in memory...

I've got 1 GB DDRAM and LM9.2-standard-kernel only found 892MB. A hint is printed, something like "to use more than .... you should activate high memory".

So i took the "up to 4 GB" kernel and now, all of my memory is used.

Yep, I used the 'enterprise kernel' which was actually by default BUT the nvidia drivers for the nforce mobo don't like it.

They want it labelled the plain vanilla so I took the plain one and just changed the makefile so the extraversion was blank and enabled 4GB high memory. I also compiled with K7 support too but I don't see why that would change things. Anyway, it now locks up and refuses to load the nforce drivers without erors about undefined symbols, wheras when compiled for the vanilla they load but I don't have all my memory.