Partitioning Software

liquidzoo

I am looking for a partitioning tool, but it needs to have some pretty specific features.

Here's what I need:

• Ability to move and resize ReiserFS partitions
  • Ability to move Fat32 partitions
  • Ability to create ext3 or Reiser (preferred) partitions - Not absolutely necessary

Ok, so here's what I am trying to do with it. I currently have my Mandrake partitions on my Desktop set up across 2 Hard drives, with some space unpartitioned. There is a rather large Fat32 partition smack in the middle of one of the Hard drives. It's a bit big (30 gigs) to back up to cd, and it would take forever (quite literally) to back it up to my usb hard drive.

What I want to do is resize and move a couple of my Mandrake partitions and move the fat32 partition in order to create some extra space to experiment with another distro on that computer.

If this can't be done, or might be too risky, I'll go with what I have. I would very much like for this to be able to work, though. Let me know how possible this might be.

FYI, the partitions that would be resized/moved for Mandrake would be /, /usr, and /var (hda1, hda7, and hda8 respectively)

I could be wrong here but, this partitioning prog would have to be run from any partition other than /,/usr and /var. Maybe a 'live' CD distro or off floppies. Maybe Win? or other OS.

I recently downloaded 'system rescue CD 0.2.8'. I think this will do what you ask, but CLI only. :unsure: I'm yet to use it.

I downloaded it because I was going to backup my partitions to a new 80G drive. Drive Image style.

I ended up re-installing (due to a ....very long story) and installed the old 13G drive as a slave to retrieve data and settings for the new installs of WinXP and MDK9.2, AHHH!!

I'll look some more, but do you want a stripped down 'freebie' or wizard based 'full whack' GUI thing?

I remember Acronis was supposed to have good Unix-file system support....

I just checked.

Acronis True Image and Paragon Drive Backup support Reiser (I think they partition)?

I can't find any info at powerquest on whether Drive Image supports reiser, but I use PartitionMagic8 and it supports ext3 but not reiser. I've made ext2 and 3 partitions with PM8, but never moved them around. I wouldn't recommend it, I only wish someone had steered me away from it, it's not worth $100.

hope this helps.

I figured that I would need to do it from a live cd. Windows is out of the question as it's not installed (and won't be reinstalled on that computer). I would prefer something that might be at least a bit GUI, doesn't have to be as dumbed down as PM is but it needs to be easy to learn.

Try Acronis Partition Expert for partitioning. Available here:

http://1000files.com/Utilities/File_and_Di...509_Review.html

It's actually a Windows program, but it supports all common Linux file systems and has an easier GUI to deal with than Partition Magicrap, which has screwed up a lot of systems. Partition Expert is cheaper than PM too, something like $40. There's even a free trial version.

I haven't used my Acronis PE for a long time and I don't have it here to check, but i don't remember it supporting moving partitions. It might, but I certainly never used it if it does. If not, maybe Acronis True Image for that, like aurthurking suggested?