ADSL very slow with Mandrake 9.1

multimedianDv

Hi ya all!

I gotta say, in the first place, that I'm a total newbie to the Linux world but I am here to learn as I very much enjoy Mandrake 9.1!

The problem is, my ADSL connection seems EXTREMELY slow when I'm surfing the net (I have Mozilla and the pages take FOREVER to load!!). When I'm downloading, on the other hand, the speed's perfect... Could it be a problem with the driver? Could it be that my computer's too damn old for Mandrake 9.1 (I have a AMD 350 MHz w/ 128 RAM) ?

I'm confused.... somebody, please help me out!

By the way, how can we set up the connection so that the system has to ask for the password to get connected ? I mean by that, with no automatic password. There's no option in the Control Center (Internet..) that we can check that says something like : do not remember password.

Thanks a lot !

Desperate Newbie

Is you adsl a external router of an internal nic?

may be a dns problem

post contents of your resolv.conf file located in the /etc directory

you can use cat from the commandline like so:

[john@bob john]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search bob.co.nz local
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 203.109.252.42
nameserver 203.109.252.43

# ppp temp entry
[john@bob john]$

As for your password protection i don't know i like having always on internet. Isn't your login pass good enough? you can always lock your screen when you leave the computer.

Well.. since the download speed is perfect, I think that it's not dsl problem but mozilla problem. Mozilla does seems slow when loading pages if you have a slower computer since it is a heavy package. However, if you use mozilla's browser only "kid brother" named Mozilla Firebird, you may find that it is faster in loading pages. You can get the mandrake 9.2 rpms here

http://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand...7-1mdk.i586.rpm

128MB RAM

I think you should check the cache settings for Mozilla, regardless of if you switch to the leaner and meaner Firebird :D

You might try reducing the mem cache downwards and use a mem tool (or cat /proc/meminfo) to see if its forcing a lot of swapping.

If it is then there is no real advantage caching anything in mem becuase its interfering with other processes.