NFS Shares

SoulSe

I'm trying to setup a NFS share on a file server to be used for backups and I am having the same problem that I've had everytime I try NFS...

I did, admitidly, use Webmin to set it up and it all seems to be shared perfectly and permissions are right, but I can't mount the share...

I can scp into the share, I can mount it if I set it up as a Samba share... but NFS doesn't work.

So, the obvious response is RTFM, but what do I read up on? What man page should I read?

The error I get when trying to mount the share is that it can't find user@host.... scp works with the same user@host... oh, and how I do add an NFS share to fstab?

Spanks! :cheesy:

I currently have 3 NFS shares working great from my desktop to my laptop. I also set them up through webmin for the shares themselves, but I mounted them (initially) through MCC -> Mount Points -> NFS Shares. I made sure to change the options so that they could be user mountable. MCC did the fstab changes for me, but I can post the fstab from my laptop here for you to have a look at if you would like. It wouldn't be till morning my time, though.

Don't know about webmin but from the CLI

in the /etc/exports file

ahh memory fails me and Im at work.....

basically set the type to nfs and the other option is for which hosts can mount it.

This can be by ip/ip range hostnames or domain.

after you have edited it you need to reread the export table

exportfs -ra

I'd give default priv's first

then from the client

mount <hostname>://<export> /<path to mount>

The <path to mount> will inherit permissions so if its root read only then the tree mounted will be read only.

Try as root till its working (IMHO) until you are happy then add specific users, remember its the UID not the username used.

Here's my fstab:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 noatime 1 1

/dev/hda10 /RPMS ext3 noatime 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda9 /home ext3 noatime 1 2

c-x-x-x-x.client.comcast.net:/mnt/music/Music /mnt/Music nfs user,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,nodev,ro 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,user,unhide,noauto,nodev,umask=0,nosuid,sync 0 0

c-x-x-x-x.client.comcast.net:/var/www/html /mnt/html nfs user,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

c-x-x-x-x.client.comcast.net:/home/liquidzoo/Downloads/laptop /mnt/laptop nfs user,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbkey vfat user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec,kudzu 0 0

/dev/hda2 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda8 /usr ext3 noatime 1 2

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

I X'd out my ip address for obvious reasons. Hope it helps you out.