MandrakeMove on Tosh Sat 3000-400

I figured you had tried that one. Shucks... I'm guessing it is hardware that it cannot identify, but it is hard to say. I tried with the USB key and it hangs big time, but it did write some info to the key before it hung.

If I think of anything I will be sure and let you know. I think they have a MandrakeMove maillist but not sure where to find it. They had a cooker maillist for it so that maybe a place to ask for some more expert help.

Suggest you try PCLinuxOS too. It is faster. A new release (preview 5) with lots of fixes is coming out in next few days. PCLINUXOS DOWNLOAD LINK

thanks all. no, i can't get to anything, let alone a console!

hardware problems, yes, that's what i assumed.

don't know if this helps - knoppix boots ok (or at least did a year or so back) more or less.

kmack - do you mean that the release works with the sat ONLY without the usb stick? that ain't much good - it's the personal config stuff that makes man..move.. stand out from the crowd.

i can't find anything on the mandrake site that smells like mandrakemove support - nor can i find anything that tells me the diffs between the RC and release versions: for example, it works ok on a desktop, but wouldn't eject the cd: is that a buggette or a designed, ahem, rc feature? (rhetoric question)

i wonder what happens if i buy the thing and it won't work on my main machine: will they do a refund. probably not worth the risk.

to be honest, working with a consumer laptop and an OS that is NOT the pre-installed one is a bit of a pain in the *&^%. it can be done, but can you be bothered...I mean this one came with Win ME, supports 2K but anything else you're on your own.

cheers all.

I couldn't find the MandrakeMOve support list either... bummer...

From what I have learned, not all brands of USB flash drive/Keys will work with Move... on the Mkcdlive list there have been lots of reports on this. Apparently the problem is no real standard exists so some drives seem to work well and others don't get initialized by harddrake. Apacer seems to work though one report it did not... kind of messy. Same thing so far in beta tests with PCLinuxOS.

My Nexus drive doesn't work. I bought an Apacer and it worked for about 3 min before it had a hardware failure and died. The shop did not have a replacement so I traded and got the Nexus instead and it won't work. :angry:

But, if you buy the Mandrake version you get a 512MB key that works. So that may be the way to go to avoid hassles.