Monitor Refresh Rate

skull_noose

skull_noose,

According to http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/xwin/xset.html, Mandrake should automagically pick up what monitor you're using and select a refresh rate. If that's not good enough, looks like you'll have to edit your XF86config file manually. That's the file that determines your display configuration, e.g. video driver and monitor config.

Are you experiencing problems/flicker? What monitor are you using?

if i'm not mistaken (can't verify this 'cause i'm at work) you can also change the refresh rate in Mandrake Control Center->hardware->monitor. it should give you an option to test the settings you choose before applying them. then you must reboot (or at least restart X) for them to take effect.

Chris

Chris, nope, can't change the refresh rate in MCC, only the colour depth and the resolution. (I thought the same thing but could verify it. :))

As for the heater, I think that's to be expected if it's messing up the workings of the monitor. Not sure though.

What kind of monitor are you using?

I have modified my refresh rate by adding a "modeline" section in my XF86Config-4 file:

in my XF86Config-4 -

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x1024"

Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"

DisplaySize 320 240

HorizSync 31.5-67

VertRefresh 50-160

Modeline "1280x1024" 843.85 1280 1704 2720 4656 1024 1024 1032 1132 +hsync +vsync

EndSection

Notice the "modeline" part. Its sets my refresh to 160hz. You can get setting with a modline calculator. Try this one:

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga...a2rgb/calc.html

Hope it helps.

When i turn my deskfan on whe it's hot, the screen looks like its running at somethin like 10hz coz of the vibrations.

ANyway im ot.

60hz isnt good for your eyes, i run at a lower res 85 hz and it's much nicer on the eyes. i dont get sore eyes after a while.

xvidtune is a great tool. As Iphitus suggested, I run my system at a lower resolution (1152x864). X config tools pick up 75Hz refresh rate at this resolution, which gives some flicker. Using xvidtune I found a modeline for 78 Hz, and the flicker's gone. Interestingly, I couldn't find 85Hz modeline though the monitor happily accepts 85Hz under Windows.

I guess you may have to play a bit more, if win can do it, lin can do it.

In my experience, with linux you get one small resolution step more at the same refresh rate, or at least the same, in linux, compared to windows.

Also, linux often allows higher resolutions than windows, esp on somewhat older hardware.

In my experience, with linux you get one small resolution step more at the same refresh rate, or at least the same, in linux, compared to windows.

Also, linux often allows higher resolutions than windows, esp on somewhat older hardware.

Cool!!

Im gonna do some tweaking :)

QUOTE (aRTee @ Jan 9 2004, 11:40 PM)

Cool!!

Im gonna do some tweaking 

And don't forget to post the results here :D

Where can I get XVIDTUN?  Thanks for all your help!  You guys rock!

It's xvidtune (all lowercase). It is the part of XFree86 AFAIK. On my computer, it resides in /usr/X11R6/bin/xvidtune. Before doing anything, make sure you read the manual:

[user@host currentdir] $ man xvidtune

Remember the warning:

You could try using xvidtune - but be carefull.

If you break anything you own the pieces