Recommendations for photo software?

Andrewski

I just got back from a trip to Europe where I took 300 pictures. I put them all on CD, so I could exchange with other members of the trip and so I could put them on the web. However, some of them need a bit of tweaking first. (My SLR skills are less than professional. :o) Can anyone recommend any software to do a bit of light and colour correction, some batch resizing, and some rotating? I bet some will say the Gimp and I would preemptively ask, "Is it too hard to learn?"

Secondly, when I put them on the web, can anyone recommend any software I can administer on my webspace to set up a dynamic slide show thinger? That'd be really cool and a lot more organised than just dumping them in a folder on my webpage.

Sorry for not doing too much research beforehand; :oops: I have a busy weekend and start school next week so I want to minimise any dead ends. Thanks!

Edited by Andrewski

Use Gimp, it is not very hard to learn :) .

But there are other tools:

Kuickshow (KDE) can do simple brightness, contrast and gamma modifications.

xnview (www.xnview.org) for batch operations like, renaming, resizing, generating a web page etc.

Ton

gimp.org

theres great stuff there, if only people opened their eyes

the greatest tutorial for gimp is 'grokking the gimp'

google for it, though it think it ias at the gimp's site

Edit: Also, for a gallery thingo, if oyu have access to a serverr with PHP, there is some great stuff at www.hotscripts.com

Edited by iphitus

Thanks for the help, all. Good suggestions on the Gimp and xnview; I remember using the latter in Windows for my astronomy pictures (usually around 30 of the same object :)).

Iphitus, all I could find at hotscripts.com was things that cost money. Not to be a cheapskate, but I really don't have much. I'm interested in something like that (e.g. PHP) though; do you know of any others?

bvc, thanks for the pixieplus suggestion; that seems promising in the absence of anything else from iphitus et al.