How does internet-connection-sharing work?

qeldroma

How does it work under linux WITHOUT the Controlcenter, in other words, WHO shares HOW?

As i read, dhcp is responsible, but why? It's just an IP-delivering system, as far as i know?

I got a machine with ONE NIC pointing to DSL and want VMWare to use the dialed up connection from the linux host, too.

For them, don't knowing vmware, it is like you have two NIC's and one to DSL, the other to LAN, in my case, win98 over samba.

A few details are needed here. How many physical network cards do you have in your machine?

I am not sure how VMWare works with a modem, however, if you access the internet using a cable/dsl modem and an ethernet card then you have two options for internet connection within vmware. The first - NAT - simply translates the network/internet connection on the existing network card into vmware. Therefore, vmware does not get its own IP address on.

The second method is to set up vmware with virtual network cards with their own IP addresses. These IPs are only local to your local lan or computer. This allows other computers on your network to access the vmware virtual computer.

However, how this works with a modem connection to the internet I can't say. The problem that I can forsee is the internet sharing and dhcp are all outgoing protocols and the virtual network cards on vmware are also outgoing protocols. Therefore, theoretically, if you had several network cards in your computer and hooked the nic card, that is sharing the internet connection, up to a hub, and then hooked the vmware nic card up to the hub, you could probably share the internet connection. However, there must be a better solution.

Can vmware not access the modem directly?

Yes/no. Today i found out, that he reaches the internet via LAN, when i am setting up a NAT-card.

But otherwise, the host-only card is connected to samba on my host, so it MUST be possible to get in contact with internet via this card.

Can i route internetconneciton sharing over the vmware dhcp-server? That one, that acts for VMWare/Samba...

One side is making linux share internet with the samba client, the other side is to configure this under W98, it's just got LAN or proxy.

Guest anthony_kangan

I would always recommend static ip addressess from a philosophical point of view, unless your network is 100+ nodes and you haven't the time...

In essence, the gateway should be set to the firewall, which is say 192.168.2.1, then a second network card is installed in thre gateway with either dialup, fixed or whatever real address is the case...

Then static routes are set-up...

• 2 weeks later...

what a kind of connection have u?

i have t-dsl and i make a masquerade at ppp0

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD - eth0 -j ACCEPT

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

eth0= networkcard to the client pc, or network

-----------------------------------------

REDEFINITION OF MY POST

How do i set up internet-sharing MANUALLY?

I don't wnat somew scripts doing something on my server. I saw that named will be installed then.

Is it a kind of routing? Or what do i have to think of?

I got two NIC:

One to the outer world, on to LAN.

What do i have to change on this machine, that everyone in the LAN will get into the internet?

REDEFINITION OF MY POST

How do i set up internet-sharing MANUALLY?

I don't wnat somew scripts doing something on my server. I saw that named will be installed then.

A number of things happen:

1)Caching name server is setup, so that queries are resolved sooner, and so you don't have to reconfigure the DNS server on all the clients every time the server connects

2)Firewall rules are setup to allow masquerading (the two iptables lines shown above your latest post)

3)IP forwarding is enabled in the kernel (the echo line in the post above your most recent post)

4)A dhcp server is setup to give all your clients:

a)IP/netmask in the masqueraded subnet

b)the ICS server as DNS server

c)the ICS server as gateway

Is it a kind of routing? Or what do i have to think of?

I got two NIC:

One to the outer world, on to LAN.

What do i have to change on this machine, that everyone in the LAN will get into the internet?

Just setup your ineternet connection first in the Mandrake Control Center, then your internal NIC, then run the ICS tool. Don't do it manually and then complain it's too difficult. Rather do it with the tools, and see afterwards if you can do the same stuff right again.