/mnt permissions

aze

Hi all!

I have a mp3s folder on /mnt/win_e mount point but I cant manage them because the 'owner' is root. Maybe there is a config file wich I can rove the restriction to root only....

The same happens with any mounted point

Thanks for any help!

Edited by aze

AFAIK, root must own fat32 partitions. You can change the access through either cli or graphically. For cli, as root issue a

chmod 777 /mnt/win_e

and you should be all set.

For graphically, you need to bring up the super user file manager. In KDE, there is a link to this in the K menu under Applications -> File tools

In Gnome, you have to open a console, su to root and issue

nautilus --no-desktop

to bring up nautilus as root.

From there, right click on your mount point in the /mnt directory and go to the permissions tab. Make sure all 9 checkboxes have checks in them. In KDE, there is a link to apply permissions to subfolders and their contents. Make sure that is checked too.

After that, your mp3's will be user writable, but they will still belong to root. That's just the way it has to be as far as I know.

chmod 777 -R /mnt

worked. It took a few seconds usinmg -R (recursive) option.

But If I get new files in windows and store it in E:\ that file will belong to root and I'Il need to run chmod again... and again....... again... and again...

no one here knows a way to mount units with permissions for the user?

maybe some option at /etc/fstab :unsure:

add the option "users" in /etc/fstab and then mount the partition as a normal user - this should give you the permissions you need.

I currently have a fat partition which is automounted as belonging to my normal user - not root and I have not problems with this...

I added user option on mount but it seems to still belonging to root

/etc/fstab

/dev/hda9 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda11 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1
0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,codepage=850,umask=0,io
charset=iso8859-1,sync 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat codepage=850,umask=0,user,ocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat codepage=850,umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat codepage=850,umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda7 /mnt/win_f vfat codepage=850,umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda8 /mnt/win_g vfat codepage=850,umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda10 swap swap defaults 0 0

How could I mount it as user? user have no access to mount at /mnt

thank you!

/dev/hda5 /home/james/share vfat defaults,user,noauto 1 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windex vfat defaults,user,noauto 1 0

They are my two fat32 partitions. Thw windex one I mount whenever I require it. The other one i mount upon login coz its got my data and music on it

The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. If the fifth field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump will assume that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.

The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2. Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware. If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

from man fstab (being i'm not on a linux system i read it here: http://annys.eines.info/cgi-bin/man/man2html?fstab+5)