ls /etc/X11
X                          Xmodmap        fluxbox    starthere    xinit
XF86Config                 Xresources     fs         sysconfig    xinit.d
XF86Config-4               Xsession       gdm        twm          xkb
XF86Config-4.old           app-defaults   lbxproxy   wmconfig     xserver
XF86Config-4~              applnk         prefdm     wmsession.d  xsm
XF86Config.old             dm             proxymngr  xdm
XftConfig.README-OBSOLETE  encodings.dir  rstart     xfce4

Well, your problem is more than just not having the NVidia drivers. Your problem is that X did not get installed. I'm not sure of the easiest way to fix this. Try

urpmi XFree86

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Also like i said in the previous reply i went into the dir and typed in dir and there's no file named XF86Config-4.  I just went in and did ls and the same thing no file.

actually you didn't say you typed dir, and even if you did I would have went

:huh:

....been using linux for only 2.5 years but never once heard anyone say to do dir....just ls. But it does work, heh, learn something everyday, no? ;)

weird though.....why would nvidia install, or even how, without X installed.....weird. :screwy:

Since nvidia drivers install as a mod and do not make the edits in the XF86Config-4 file, it is possible that they could install without x. I thought that x was a depend, but again, it is their installer, and it might just do its thang!

Again, if your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file doeas not exist, then X was never installed.

"urpmi xfree86" as root on the command line will get you going. Don't forget to make the edits that bvc has already told you. Also, if you like gui rather than command line, do a "urpmi mc", and after it is installed, type "mc" on the command line. You will be presented with a gui-ish dosshell type program, that you can navigate easily, both for file management and edits. CHeck it out! Even when I am in the x environment, I still use this program in a console because I like it. B)

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I'm now using the mandrake gui or I guess otherwise known as X! Well I figured out that the second time that I tried to install Mandrake i didn't configure the monitor hence I didn't install x. It said that you've opted to not install x do you want to do this i said yes. Hey I didn't know what x was at that time. :D So I felt like i was going around in circles and decided to just format the whole thing and start over since i knew exactly what i had to do. So i did but then decided to install the boot record on the beginning of the partition instead of the mbr. Well when i rebooted all i got was a bunch of 9's along the screen so I then started over for the fourth time and formatted then reinstall. Well this time everything went exactly as my tutorial said it would. Now x is installed and i have to now configure it to the way i like it. Thanks for all your help and i'm sure i'll be asking for more of it. Oh by the way how do you install windows programs on this? :cheesy:

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Oh by the way how do you install windows programs on this?

use windows :lol:

seriously

well, there's wine, crossover office, and vmware. Good luck with any of them. After an hour screwing with them knowing poeple rarely get them to work, I uninstall them :thumbs:

Since reading this post I discovered that I was only using 900mgs of memory when I have 1 gig installed. I have been using the SMP kernel because my processor has hyper-threading and it sees it as a dual processor. But I did not know that the SMP kernel can only see 900mgs of memory. So I then booted to enterprise and low and behold, it now sees my full gig of memory, but when the SMP kernel booted it loaded me into KDE, when I boot the enterpris kernel, it drops me at a command prompt. I guess there is a file or config that I need to change?

Also there are a couple more options on my boot menu. Enterprise, SMP, LINUX, LINUXNF (or something like that), floppy and I think that is it. I guess all use the same kernel but Enterprise uses the himem switch and the others just have different configs is that correct? I am also only a month into Linux so not much more knowledgeable the a NOOB. :wall:

I try startx, I get

Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

Using vt 7

(EE) open/dev/fb0: no such file or directory

(EE) no devices detected

Fatal server error no screens found. :furious3:

Update - Last night I reinstalled my whole OS. I removed linux and XP and repartitioned and installed. I selected the video with 3d acceleration and my resolutions and etc, and told it to load KDE upon startup. Same thing, booted straight to a command prompt. Same message when I try to startx.

What kernel do you recommend? I have a 3.0ghz with Hyper-threading 1gig of ram ATI-9600 mobility 128mb onboard chip 16inch SXGA screen. I play games, watch movies on my laptop.

Update - I ran XFdrake and used the generic 4.3 Vesa driver, 1024x768 60hz video and 1024x768 16bit and finally got KDE working in enterprise. I am now going to try and install new video driver.

Final Update - I used the desktop driver for the ATI Radeon 9600 and it appears to be working. Looks very nice. Now just have to get my app icons back to their normal selves instead of the default ones and everyone will be happy.

Edited by Sinestr