Newbie to Linux

Audiophile1178

Hello i'm trying to explore the world of linux so yesterday i dled mandrake 9.2. Well during install everything was going fine until the very end when you configure everything. Mandrake was fine with everything except my video. I don't know how it can't display everything when i get a perfect display during the install. So i tried everything to configure it but with no avail. I'm using a nvidia geforce 3 64meg ddr card. I've read several people have problems with the nvidia card and they say that you have to dl the drivers and install them. The problem is that i'm currently using windows xp pro which doesn't see the linux partition and i've dled the nvidia drivers to the c: root dir. I've logged into linux and can't figure out how to see all the other partitions so that i can try to go ahead and install the drivers.

Any help that you can provide me should bring me one further step away from using windows.

Also can you run regular windows programs in linux such as photoshop 8, nero, office, etc.?

Please post the content of your /etc/fstab file. As a note, the p[artitions in a windex install can be found in /mnt. If it is not there, we can walk through how to get it there! Once it is available, you can pull any file you want from the windex partition(s).

login linux and su to root

su <Enter<

type_root_passwd <Enter> (you won't see anything as you type)

ls /mnt/win_c

do you see it? Then do

sh NVIDIA-bla bla name bla .run -a

the -a just skips the acceptance of the agreement part. If all goes well with the install do

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

scroll down to the Device Section and make

Driver "whatever"

Driver "nvidia"

now you need to save the file. Do

Esc

:

wq <Enter>

that is;

Esc : wq <and Enter>

then logout of being root

logout <Enter>

then do

startx <Enter>

There's a tutorial in the FAQ section on editing files and installing nvidia drivers.

Welcome to the board! :headbang:

Thanks for everyone and all their efforts! I'm slowly but surely getting my way into the linux gui. I've figured out how to copy and paste the nvidia drivers from my windows c drive into the root directory and when i tried to install i get this error

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'

creation time: Wed Dec 31 20:27:18 2003

option status:

license pre-accepted : false

update : false

force update : false

expert : false

uninstall : false

driver info : false

no precompiled interface: false

no ncurses color : false

query latest driver ver : false

OpenGL header files : false

no questions : false

silent : false

XFree86 install prefix : /usr/X11R6

OpenGL install prefix : /usr

Installer install prefix: /usr

kernel include path : (not specified)

kernel install path : (not specified)

proc mount point : /proc

ui : (not specified)

tmpdir : /root/tmp

ftp site : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface

-> License accepted.

-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you li

ke the installer to attempt to download a kernel interface for your kernel f

rom the NVIDIA ftp site (ftp://download.nvidia.com)? (Answer: Yes)

-> No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site;

this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for

your kernel.

ERROR: Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running kernel.

Please make sure you have installed the kernel header files for your

kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the

'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel header

files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with the

'--kernel-include-path' commandline option.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file

'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions

on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux

driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

If anyone could help me get past this problem i think that i would have a successful install of the nvidia drivers and well into the gui. By the way i'm using a geforce 3 64 meg ddr with a linux mandrake kernel of 2.4.22-10mdkenterprise on an i686/ ttyl. Thank you for any further assistance you may be.

P.S. I also asked if you can run windows components such as adobe photoshop 8.0, office 2003, nero, etc.... on linux. These are my main concerns!

You'll have to install the kernel source and then run the NVidia installer again. su to root as above and then

urpmi kernel-source

Then install the NVidia driver.

As for Photoshop 8.0, I'm not sure, but Photoshop 5.5 runs with Crossover Office (which you have to pay for) and possibly with winex (which you either have to pay for or compile from CVS sources, which I've never gotten to work). Gimp is an alternative to Photoshop, but you'll have to learn how to use it to get the full benefits of it. It is capable of everything that Photoshop is. Office 2003 should run with Crossover Office also, but OpenOffice in its current form is capable of everything that Office 2003 is as far as I know. Nero could probably run under winex, but there are Linux alternatives to it also, like K3B and/or XCDRoast. Hope this helps.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

ok i'm getting frustrated now... after linux starts loading everything up i'm at the "command prompt" i guess you can call it. It asks me for user name and from my understanding i type in root. that logs me in and then i'm supposed to type in su which does nothing as far as chaning directories or anything in general. Then i typed in urpmi binutils <enter> and it says that it's already installed. Next i type in urpmi kernel-source <enter> and it says package not found. I also messed with urpmi kernel- source as well as urpmi kernel - source which (from my understanding) gives me different kernels. I then pick a kernel and type in urpmi kernel-(name of kernel that i picked) and it says that it's already installed so i'm thinking great i can then go and type in sh nvidia-whatever....run -a and i still get the same error. Please help me i'd like to get into the gui and HOPEFULLY that'll be a little bit easier to use than the command prompt.

Thanks for your help!!!

I forgot that you are probably using the download version of 9.2, which does not include the kernel source on the disks. You can download the rpm from one of the mirrors in Windows (make sure it has exactly the same version number as the kernel you are currently using...if you are not sure what kernel you are using, type uname -r at the command line) and then install it in Linux at the command line like this

urpmi kernel-source*

while in the directory that it is in

or

rpm -ivh kernel-source*

If you log in as root initially, there is no need to 'su' to root and attempting to do so will cause nothing to happen.

Ok i was pretty sure what my kernel was but i went into linux and double-checked it. The version is 2.4.22-10mdk. You have to understand that I'm totally new to linux and don't know anything about it except for what i've been learning about in the last couple of days. You say I need to get an rpm and matches my kernel version well that's fine but where do I dl this rpm from? Again, thanks for you help.

Right here:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/9.2/...10mdk.i586.html

For future reference and for edification. I went to http://google.com/linux and entered kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk into the search field and the above site was the first on the list of links to show up. :)

does it matter that at the top of the screen when you first login it says kernel 2.4.22-10mdkenterprise on an i686/ tty1. I see that the link in which you gave me is for a i586 and i'm just wondering if that'll make a difference before I do this. Thank you for the link I did the same in yahoo and got this http://kitty.plala.jp/Asumi/kernel/2.4.22-10/ as the first link and dled it. I'll stick with you version if it's compatible.

No, it doesn't matter. As far as I know, there are no RPMs optimized for i686 yet, so i586 is the best you can do. You can run i386 if you want, but it will be slower. As long as your system is i586 or up it will work. Also, the kernel-enterprise, kernel-smp, etc. all use the same kernel source, it is just the .config files that are different, so that is definitely the correct kernel source to get.

As a newbie, you are way better off sticking with RPMs that have the string 'mdk' in them until you get comfortable, so mine is the best.

if you're running enterprise it should be the same kernel-source. They use to have diff kernel-sources but I don't think so anymore. It's just a kernel-source with the HIGHMEM=Y, meaning 1GB or more of ram. I could be wrong but we went through this last week in another thread and that is what was determined.

I thank everyone for their help and i'm so so close. Well with your help i've got the kernel installed, as well as, the nVidia drivers. When I go to check the xf86config-4 file there's nothing there and it's blank. I know that i'm supposed to just go in and edit the driver name from nv to nvidia but there's nothing there to edit. Am i supposed to manually type all of this in? Maybe:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce3 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

Endsection

Now like i said there's nothing there and if i have to type it in please tell me if there's anything wrong with what i wrote. I'm a little uncertain about the boardname if that's correct. Again I have a geforce 3 64meg ddr mem.