Looking for a good book

ac_dispatcher

Well my familiy knows I love Linux. Thankfully they understand not to go out and buy a Linux book for me. So they gave me a gift card to Waldenbooks. So here is the question. What is a good Linux book.

Don't want a Newbie book, but Im no advanced Linux user either. I use Mandrake 9.2 as a day-to-day computer now and I think I have a good feel for it. Im looking for a book to help a "day-to-day" user get deeper into what makes it tick and how to get more / do more..

I saw a possible book

Here.

it has some good reviews

What do you think?

Edited by ac_dispatcher

I've got that book and have found it very useful. I'd recommend it. Another good one, particularly for networking stuff is the Linux Administration Handbook by Nemeth,Snyder and Hein published by Prentice Hall. Another surprisingly useful book I found in a cutout bin is Practical Linux by Streib, Turner, et al. published by QUE. It's somewhat dated but I've found things explained in there that I haven't found anywhere else and I find myself referring to it frequently.

Edited by pmpatrick

ac_dispatcher,

only 2 books (at this point) i would consider good (well, maybe 3). 1 is "hacking linux exposed", great book on securing linux. 2 is a book from o'rieley on the linux kernel. 3 "linux complete". none of these books are cheap. "linux complete" is a 1000+ page book and runs about $20. "hacking linux exposed" runs about $50, and i think the o'rieley book also runs about $50.

with these 3 books, you can master linux.

hope this helps, enjoy

True but my thought was that in most cases like this forum you don't learn anything until someone has a problem.

I guess you can goto other sites Like These

but Im looking for a book to read away from my computer :screwy:

My wife seems to think being on my computer all the time is not good for the family - go figure. :lol2:

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Edited by ac_dispatcher

Ok went to Walden Books with my gift card today (and my 2 1/2 yr old boy)

They did not have much in the way of Linux.

"Learn Linux in 24hours" - Sorry I know Linux, just want to know to more.

"Red Hat 9 exposed" - Sorry I don't use Red Hat

"Learn Red Hat 9" - See above

"Red Hat 9 unleashed" - See a pattern here?

So I settled for the only non-newbie book there -

Linux Server Hacks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059...7746624-3983218

So Far its cool B)

I'm reading this one (in PDF):

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

I suppose if you print it out and fold it into a booklet, you would have a book...

but it's nice to have in front of you while you are fiddling. The exercises are way cool. I was really frustrated tryin for half an hour to get a "grep"-exercise just right... but I learned something!

This was just the thing I wanted to try and get my skills to the next level. It rocks!

Edited by Darkelve