Jump to content
boatman9

urpmi.addmedia error "retrieving failed"

Recommended Posts

Occasionally I see this "retrieving failed" error when trying to use urpmi.addmedia. When the problem occurs I usually have to wait a few days, then try again and it works. The example below is from 2010.1 x86_64 cooker RC2, however I have had the same problem with released versions so I don't think it's a Cooker issue. What causes this problem and how can I fix it?

 

 

[root@localhost urpmi_stuff]# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist '$MIRRORLIST'
adding medium "Main"
adding medium "Main Updates"
adding medium "Main32"
adding medium "Main32 Updates"
adding medium "Main Testing" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Main Backports" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Main debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Main Updates debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Main Testing debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Main Backports debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Contrib"
adding medium "Contrib Updates"
adding medium "Contrib Testing" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Contrib Backports" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Contrib debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Contrib Updates debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Contrib Testing debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Contrib Backports debug" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Non-free" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Non-free Updates" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Non-free Testing" (ignored by default)
adding medium "Non-free Backports" (ignored by default)
adding medium "debug_non-free_release" (ignored by default)
adding medium "debug_non-free_updates" (ignored by default)
adding medium "debug_non-free_testing" (ignored by default)
adding medium "debug_non-free_backports" (ignored by default)
   $MIRRORLIST: media/main/release/media_info/20100603-165332-synthesis.hdlist.cz
...retrieving failed:        0B/s|/var/cache/urpmi/partial/20100603-165332-synthesis.hdlist.cz
...retrieving failed:        0B/s|/var/cache/urpmi/partial/20100603-165332-synthesis.hdlist.cz
...retrieving failed: aria2 failed: exited with 3
problem reading synthesis file of medium "Main"
[root@localhost urpmi_stuff]#

 

 

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This error has several causes:

1) The server has a problem or is overloaded.

2) the hdlist.cz is not current (it is probably rebuilding)

3) someone moved the hdlist.cz to the wrong location. (An admin would never do that, would they?)

4) Some aspect of the link from you and that server is garbage.

 

Solution: if there is an alternate server, change to that location. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do except try later. For RC's and beta's, the hdlist.cz can change frequently. I would not worry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I had this problem, I changed from aria2 to wget instead and all the problems went away. You can do this through mcc, and one of the options in there for updating your system will allow you to change from aria to wget. I don't have a Mandy install to tell you exactly how, but someone might be able to jump in and tell exactly where to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing to wget seemed to help. I am using urpmi from command line, so I added the below command in my urpmi command line.

 

--downloader wget --wget-options '-c'

 

I'm not sure if the -c option is useful when using wget with urpmi, but it should not cause any problem having the -c there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest StillLearning

Sometimes I had this problem, I changed from aria2 to wget instead and all the problems went away. You can do this through mcc, and one of the options in there for updating your system will allow you to change from aria to wget. I don't have a Mandy install to tell you exactly how, but someone might be able to jump in and tell exactly where to do it.

 

To change downloader simply go to Control Centre, Configure Media Sources For Install And Update, then press Ctrl + G (or select Options and Global Options) and this will give you the option to change downloader, wget definately works far better than aria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To change downloader simply go to Control Centre, Configure Media Sources For Install And Update, then press Ctrl + G (or select Options and Global Options) and this will give you the option to change downloader, wget definately works far better than aria

Thanks for this :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...