How do I play DVDs?

aze

Aze,

I guess everyone is still sleeping after Christmas. :)

Any way, your answer is here on this message board somehwere. I tried a quick search on my favorite dvd player (Xine) and found this:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...topic=6873&st=0

The main point of the post is that you need a couple of files to read movies on dvds. Its not too hard to add the files. Heck, even I did it! :)

One place to find the files is PLF (Penguin Liberation Front). Their web page is plf.zarb.org. Their FTP site is ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf. Hope this helps!

As it happens Linux Format magazine has done a feature on just this topic this month, only of interest if your in the UK. Generally I prefer Xine, but Ogle is also pretty good. You can also use Mplayer and couple of others, but IMHO xine and Ogle are the best.

Regardless of what you use you'll need the DVD decryption libaries. As Irsach01 says PLF is the best soure for those using MDK. You can add PLF as an urpmi source to make the installtion easier.

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

There is a more up-to-date version of Xine on PLF than is shipped with MDK. So once you've added PLF as a source I'd do a searches for Xine, DVD and CSS then install pretty much everything that comes up.

I just installed mine.

1) I replaced a cdrom reader for copying cd's, and I use k3b, so I had to make sure that the scsi emulation was intact. Harddrake removed it, but I keep a copy of fstab in my /home directory for such events.

2) I installed xine, because I like it. It is important that you install libdvdcss2, along with any of the other programs. If you do not, the protection code will crash any of the dvd programs.

3) Make sure that the input device in your choice program matches whatever you did in fstab.

And enjoy!